DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   IR filter AND polarizer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/492385-ir-filter-polarizer.html)

Annen James February 28th, 2011 08:16 AM

IR filter AND polarizer?

Hello,
I need to use a polarizer for an upcoming water shoot. My EX1 lives with it's IR filter on. Should I stack the filters or drop the IR when using the polarizer? Thanks!

Marcus Durham February 28th, 2011 08:53 AM

Re: IR filter AND polarizer?

As a rule the less glass in front of the lens the better.I take my IR off if I require another type of filter.

Duncan Craig March 1st, 2011 06:26 AM

Ditto, I don't have the IR on unless I need it.

Annen James March 1st, 2011 12:19 PM

When would you not want an IR on? I guess I shoot a lot of people with black shirts, but I never take it off.

Duncan Craig March 1st, 2011 02:36 PM

I can film most jobs without it, and unless there's a situation where there are multiple black and the colours are all different I'll leave it off. It loses light too, over a stop I expect.

We shoot in a clothing store a couple of times a month with mixed lighting. Roof fluorescent, some daylight, Arri MSRs and Coollights LEDs and fluorescents.

We watch every shot while setting up, occasionally there's a black fabric that causes the IR problem, but it's quite luckily rare. And it always seems the MSRs are the source which makes it worse, probably because they have such a high CRI whereas the Coollights stuff has less red at source.

Marcus Durham March 1st, 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annen James (Post 1623293)
When would you not want an IR on? I guess I shoot a lot of people with black shirts, but I never take it off.

It's only blacks where man made fibres are used. It's important to have the IR filter to hand but I only put it on when I need it.

I do however leave a UV filter on at all times (except if I am using another filter). I'd rather scratch or damage that than the EX1 glass.

Malcolm Hamilton March 1st, 2011 08:55 PM

Marcus - what UV filter do you use?
thanks, Malcolm

Marcus Durham March 2nd, 2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1623481)
Marcus - what UV filter do you use?
thanks, Malcolm

It's a Tiffen.

Malcolm Hamilton March 2nd, 2011 09:51 AM

Thanks very much. I think I'd better get one (it was on my wishlist, but I'd forgotten until I saw this thread).
Regards, Malcolm

Marcus Durham March 2nd, 2011 02:42 PM

You'd be amazed how much crap collects on the UV filter. When you keep in mind that all this would be going onto your expensive lens it's a no-brainer.

But you do need to keep it clean. Very clean. Also watch out for reflections when there are bright light sources.