Century OHD-FESU-EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Century OHD-FESU-EX1

Has anybody got any clips with this fisheye adaptor, I can't seem to find any anywhere on the net.
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Century OHD-FESU-EX1

See my thread from last spring where I compared all the Century adapters:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...omparison.html

These are all capture frames from static video (to provide examples of the difference between them), but I did have the opportunity to shoot with both the fisheye and .6X on an assignment. I was thrilled with the results. I did not experience any CA and edge sharpness was wonderful for such wide adapters. The assignment involved a lot of shooting inside the cab of a big rig, which was pretty cramped. The fisheye and .6X saved the day, and gave me some wonderful perspectives that would not have otherwise been possible. There is a limited zoom with both of these adapters, so you can change your perspective somewhat without removing the adapter.

Both of these adapters require the camera to (initially) be on auto focus and set to 'macro'. However, once the macro focus has been activated, you can take the camera out of auto focus and manually focus. (which isn't needed too often with the depth of field provided by these)

I'll attach a couple of capture frames from that assignment, (I don't have the original video any longer) and check out the link for more examples.

oops.... I just realized there is already some of these in the earlier thread.... just check that out, you'll find the truck examples there, too. (I accidentally attached full-res images which are way too large)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
New Boot

Very comprehensive range of images but the lens I'm looking at is 0.55x. Is this perhaps a newer lens which was not available when you did your tests?
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

There might very well be a new adapter from Century in the .55X range, but I know nothing about it. The stock code you provided was for the Century fisheye .45X.
https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecom...=1474&IID=6373

Ryan Avery (the rep for Schneider/Century) is a regular visitor to this site, so maybe he can elaborate.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:11 AM   #5
New Boot

how do you fix a IR filter on the lens
brian
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Major Player

You can't. At least not on the .45X. There is a shade with one 4X4 filter slot which fits the .6X, and the .75X which could be used for an IR filter.
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...=1391&IID=1341
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Century .55x adapter. I don't have much stuff online but I did just upload a video on YouTube that has a few seconds of footage shot with it.

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4LY...el_video_title

If you go to 2:05 there is a short scene with my boy eating a corn dog, ha! That was shot with the Century .55x. The nice thing about YouTube is you can skip ahead to the point you want to see instead of waiting for the whole video to load. The video is just of me chasing my boys around Santa Cruz beach area. The rest of the video footage is with the Sony .8x adapter, handheld.

What I like about the lens is that it's relatively light and it's sharp enough in the center for me... vignettes and distorts a bit around the edges especially in certain lighting situations but it's semi-fish eye so I think that's to be expected. Definitely a specialty lens for specific uses. I'm glad I have one.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Forgot, I have a scene of Mossbrae Falls that I used the Century Fisheye .55x. It's located at 2:52 in this test clips video YouTube - Wilderness Clips - Eagle Falls, Mossbrae Falls, McWay Falls

(this was one of my first times shooting video with my EX1).
Buck Forester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds