PMW-350 and Nano workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW-350 and Nano workflow

(I´ve posted this over at the Nano forum as well, but it´s probably more traffic here so maybe I get an answer)

I´m due to start a production involving a lot of remote locations. Originally the idea was to use a PDW-700 camera and an EX-3 as a B-cam. It´s to be broadcast in HD
The production is now looking into saving some money on the camera package (aren´t they always) due to the overall cost of production.
I will (hopefully) buy the camera the production want to use and rent it to them (alongside my EX-3).

SInce the 700 most likely turns out to be too expensive I´m looking into the PMW-350 (as the 500 is close to the 700 in cost) and probably adding a NanoFlash to get 4:2:2.

I´m very comfortable with the EX workflow, but I´m a bit confused as how to throw the Nano into the mix.

I will be traveling 2 weeks at the time, backing up everything to external hard drives with my MBP.

How do I handle the file structure of the Nano, can I use the Sony Browser to view the rushes?

Finally, is it easy for the post people to get the Nano footage of the hard drives into the NLE, what do I need to take into account?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: PMW-350 and Nano workflow

Hi Joachim,

The work flow with the Nano is fairly esay.

I use 2 nano's, 1 with my ex3 and 1 with my ex1.

With the Nano you can record mxf, mp4, or quicktime. I usually use mxf as I am a Vegas user and I don't have to go through clip browser to convert the mp4 files (like you do with the EX3).

The work flow is really quite simple... the hardest part will be picking mxf/mp4/quicktime.
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for posting. How is the folder structure, is it just one folder like the ex camera?
How do you backup/archive?
As this us a major tv series on a major channel I have yo present a bullet proof solution.
I'm very used to the ex workflow by the way
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The file setup is nice... When you use mxf, a single new file is created...no BPAV folders to worry about.

I have 10 32gb Sandisk Extreme compact flash cards that I record to. I also record to the SxS cards in the camera. I have 2 NextoDI 500gb storage devices that I backup the files to. I don't delete anything until I have put it on my computer.

The nice thing about the Nano is that you can control the file size that the unit can create. This way, if you are recording longer takes...you won't lose everything if there is a problem at the end of the take. (in the menu you can select how large you want each file to be, then they are seamlessly put together in your nle).
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you're definitely using FCP to edit though - isnt it better to keep the original format / files that can then come in via clip browser etc?
Justin St.Clair Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Major Player

If you are definitely using FCP to edit shoot in Quick time - you can drag the footage straight onto the timeline without any transcoding - no need for clip browser.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds