DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   LCD gone white (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/492679-lcd-gone-white.html)

Pietro Jona March 5th, 2011 10:12 AM

LCD gone white

Title says it.
Shooting under the rain, thank god not with my own EX1, two cameras out of two got this problem. It happened to me once but after drying the camera the LCD started working again. This time the LCD never got back to normal except for a few seconds two days later. We have another week of shooting and I HATE to use the EX1's EVF for framing and focusing.
Anyone ever had this same problem? How did he fix it?
(Please don't tell me that I shouldn't shoot under the rain without a rain cover, I know. I had to, but that's another story.)

Alister Chapman March 5th, 2011 12:13 PM

Re: LCD gone white

Leave it in a warm place, wrapped in a plastic bag with lots of silica gel sachets for anything upto a week. Pray lots and keep your fingers crossed.

The LCD is connected to the circuit board with a conductive rubber strip. If water gets underneath it will short it out. As it's rubber the water may remain trapped and never dry out unless the LCD is stripped down.

Pietro Jona March 5th, 2011 01:29 PM

Thanks Alister,
I'll pray and keep my finger crossed, too bad I can't just wait for a week since we shoot every day. Not raining tomorrow but clowdy and a bit moisty so not the best conditions for healing!
I might try to find a screwdriver and open the LCD case to help drying during the nights in the hotel.

Philip Howells March 5th, 2011 10:20 PM

Alister's advice and Pietro's experience make the cost of a rain cover seem so cheap. A lesson to every event recorder in my view.

Pietro Jona March 6th, 2011 01:46 AM

Philip: absolutely!
Anyway, more than prayers could my Leatherman and a hair dryer.
I took the three tiny screws out, disassembled the LCD and umplugged it. Scary thing to do without the proper tools. After 30 minutes of warm and dry air the thing started working again. I'll try to leave a small pack of Silica gel inside the cap before closing it.

Marcus Durham March 6th, 2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1625037)
Alister's advice and Pietro's experience make the cost of a rain cover seem so cheap. A lesson to every event recorder in my view.

It doesn't even have to be a proper rain cover. A few years back I saw a Beta operator who'd wrapped his camera in supermarket carrier bags and gaffer tape. Presumably he'd been caught without his proper cover. Certainly didn't look pretty but just proves you can rig something up in most situations to keep the camera dry.

Alister Chapman March 6th, 2011 07:03 AM

I always carry a load of black bin bags in the car or camera kit. They are soooo useful as camera or equipment covers. They also work well for all the trash at the end of the shoot.