Minimum size LCD for perfect focus? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Minimum size LCD for perfect focus?

I just got a SmallHD DP6 with the SDI option and I love it, however I'm having a problem with the SDI out on my EX1 where I can only get it to display the image, but not image + indicators that appear on the EX1's LCD. See my other post here for details: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...y-problem.html

Anyway back to the subject, I'm really glad I got an "HD" monitor for my EX, especially for set pieces or interviews, it really gives me a sense of confidence that the image I think I'm capturing, I'm actually capturing. However, it's still possible to be slightly out of focus with a smallish monitor like this one, but it has excellent false color focus assist functionality to give you that extra assurance. And not all "HD" monitors are equal in quality. I bought a 7" HD name brand monitor a couple of years ago and I returned it because to me the EX1's LCD was just as good, and it had to do with the 'scaling' circuitry of the monitor, which is always in effect unless you get a 1080P monitor, which is rare for a portable unit.

That being said, the peaking and depth of focus indicators on the EX1 are pretty darn good and you can trust them most of the time, and you don't have to have something hanging off your camcorder, negating the compactness of the unit.

These SmallHD units aren't cheap though, $1,300 for the SDI unit and about $1,500 when you get it tricked out but if you can afford it, it's very nice.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Keith, that SmallHD DP6 looks like a good choice. I agree about the camera's LCD, it's fine most of the time. The peaking display helps a lot. I also use a Hoodman Loupe with it which gives a lot of confidence for focus — especially when going handheld. The external monitor would mostly be for covering long events and for setting up shots/lighting when there's time.

Justin/Alister mentioned the Sony OLED. Have seen OLEDs/AMOLEDs on smartphones but not on a HD monitor. I did a quick look and found just 2 OLED field monitors.

Article from TV Technology (October 2009)
OLED Interest Slow, But Growing, by Jay Ankeney

Tamuz Blackhawk 7.6", introduced at NAB 2009.
Made in Germany. Display is 800x480. Has HD-SDI, HDMI, Component. Displays 1080/720. Has 3/8" threads top and bottom and can be DC powered. Never heard of this company before, anyone use one of these?
http://www.tamuz.tv/datasheets/tamuz-ocm107w.pdf

From Sony, found the PVM-740 that was mentioned. It's 7.4" OLED, 960x540, 10-bit, SDI + HDMI, and everything you'd want. Also is way out of my price range! Sony Product Detail Page PVM740

Are there other OLED field monitors out there or is that it? (Interesting to look at these but my budget says LCD at the moment)
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It has been a few months, and I am revisiting this thread. I am still thinking about adding a better monitor to my EX-1. I have the sock loop, but it sags and is somewhat unwieldy in a run and gun situation.
Good comments on the Small HD monitor above, are you still happy with it?
Is the only way to mount one of these monitors on accessory shoe? it seems like it could be better mounted from the bottom of the camera before the tripod making it less top heavy.
Did anyone check out the and have an opinion on small monitors at NAB?
Any comments at all?
seems like the choices are:
Possible monitors
• SmallHD DP6 5.6” HD Monitor 14 oz, $1300 SDI, arm and hood avail.
• IKAN VX7 1024x600 $1000
• TV Logic VFM 056WP http://www.tvlogic.co.kr/Product/Product_10_01.asp
• Marshall V-LCD70XP-3GSDI 7" LCD Field Monitor
• Sony OLED PVM740 5+ lbs $3500

Attachment:
• Noga DG14CA-SA Cinematic Arm with Hot Shoe
• Manfrotto arm from tripod head (part # ??)
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #19
Trustee

I use the Marshall Electronics V-LCD70XP-HDMI 7" LCD V-LCD70XP-HDMI with my EX1R as well as my Panasonic GH2 and find that I am able to do a much better job of consistently controlling focus. I see that you are in the Bay Area. You are welcome to attend our meetings at the Bay Area Professional Videographers Association. I shoot the meetings and post them on Vimeo. If you are able to attend a meeting, you can take a first hand look at my Marshall monitor in use and see what you think. More info here. Bay Area Professional Videographers Association (BAPVA): Welcome
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Trustee

I was using the SmallHD DP1 up to about 2 months ago. Switched to the TVLogic 056WP and love it. I also looked at the SmallHD DP6 but found the TVLogic's features to be a real help in nailing exposure and color. The Colors are bit more accurate on the TVLogic too (IMO). I use peaking to aid in focusing so the smaller size (5.6" vs 8.9") between the 056WP and DP1 doesn't make that much of a difference.

I looked at all the ones Chip mentioned and the only ones that made my shortlist were the TVLogic and SmallHD. The Ikan and Marshall just were not up to the same level in color accuracy or resolution. I was looking for something that would be like a small version of a Panasonic production monitor.

The Sony sounded great on paper but I have never been able to see that specific monitor. I did get to see an earlier version (beta level) Sony OLED monitor and it did look great. Blew everything I've seen up to that point away but at this point they are just too expensive for my limited budgets.

-Garrett

Last edited by Garrett Low; May 26th, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Curry View Post
It has been a few months, and I am revisiting this thread. I am still thinking about adding a better monitor to my EX-1. I have the sock loop, but it sags and is somewhat unwieldy in a run and gun situation.
Good comments on the Small HD monitor above, are you still happy with it?
Is the only way to mount one of these monitors on accessory shoe? it seems like it could be better mounted from the bottom of the camera before the tripod making it less top heavy.
Hi Chip, nice to hear from you again, I think we've met a few times. Anyway, this Small HD DP6 is one of the best investments I've made, I've used it over and over in all kinds of situations. I think for 'run and gun' it may be just a bit too large, but for set interviews, car mounts, Steadicam, anywhere where you just need extra confidence it's great. It's totally built like a tank, and you can also get a SmallHD acrylic cover for cheap that protects it even more. One of the really great things I've found is they are very frequently improving it with firmware updates which are really easy to install, bigger manufacturers could learn a thing or 2 about updates from this upstart company.

While it can be easily mounted on a shoe, I don't know if that's always the best solution unless you're static. While it's pretty light, there is still some mass to it, and those little hot shoes are not that strong, The arm they sell is also, in my opinion, nice but I haven't used it much for this reason.

I think mounting it lower is a good idea, there are a lot of mounts that add hot shoe or 1/4-20 threaded capabilities at the base of the camcorder. Good luck.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #22
Major Player

I'll be interested to see how well this new Sony compares. The price seems right:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759775-REG/Sony_LPM_770BP_LPM770BP_Active_Matrix_Portable.html
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Chip,
I'm going to make a strong recommendation for the Marshall LCD70XP (you decide HDMI or SDI). I went with the SDI for the high reliability of the connection and loop through. The Marshall unit also has composite and component inputs on the SDI model. YMMV.

Below is a link to a thread where I posted a photo of how I mounted it to the tripod instead of the camera:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...ml#post1567414

That's a super clamp and a $70 iKan 6" Israeli arm.
Ikan MA206 6" Articulating Arm MA206 B&H Photo Video

When you use a monitor, you will appreciate some of the smaller details of the Marshall. For me, I like the right angle XLR power supply connector. The connector can be flipped so the cord goes up or down. I also appreciate the SDI model for it's use of BNC connectors that lock tight. Combined with the right angle swivel connectors shown in my rig (at the EX1 end as well), the cable stress is drastically reduced as the cable does not have to fight gravity in it's journey between camera and monitor.

Another nice aspect of the Marshall is that for about $30, you can add mount points on the other 3 edges. I've since done this and now the monitor attaches to the IKAN arm on the side instead of the bottom as shown. The build quality of the case and switches gives me confidence the unit will survive well.

Another nice touch is that in addition to the On/Off switch, there's a 3-position power rocker switch on the side to choose between battery, power supply and off. That's off off....no power drain.

The peaking, false colors, freeze frame, and 1:1 features of the Marshall have revolutionized how I do focus and exposure.

I'm not saying the others don't sport any of these features but if you tunnel vision on the marketing specs, you might miss them and not appreciate them until you've already taken the plunge. Also,take a gander through DVInfo. I think you'll find the Marshall a favorite of many here.

Lastly, if you care about supporting your local economy, the Marshall monitors are designed and manufactured right there in California.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #24
Major Player

It's a tough decision as everyone's needs are different.

I settled with a daylight viewable Marshall, the V-LCD651STX with the Anton Bauer battery plate. I really like the economy of the menus of the Marshall but I wish it, like the TVLogic, had scopes. Daylight viewability won out for me.

I saw most of the monitors mentioned at NAB. Gotta say the TVLogic monitors in the 6.5 to 7" category are incredible bang for the buck. The one you mentioned has scopes. It has tons of features but the menus are labyrinthine. I started out using a NOGA style arm but went to a NEBTEK mount that goes into the coldshoe mount. Once the Nebtek one is clamped it does not move.

nanoFlash.net - Olof Ekbergh has*created a superb mount for the new Panasonic AF100. Now in stock and shipping!**AG-AF100 NanoFlash Bracket $149.95* ORDER****************Really Great mounting solution designed for Sony's EX1, EX1r (scroll down)

I used a sock loupe on my Z1 and I feel your pain with the sagging and so on. You might want to consider another cheap but tried and tested solution from Hoodman...

EX KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #25
Major Player

Andrew, can you please provide a part number for the NEBTEK cold shoe mount your referring to. Thanks!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #26
Major Player

Can't find the part on the Nebtek site anymore. Anyway Barry...there is a link in my previous post to the nanoflash.net site. Scroll down about half way down the page and click ORDER. The part is 40 bucks.

I used nanoflash.net when I bought my nF recorder. Excellent outfit. I would try to get them to ship USPS to Canada if they will do it. It will be a lot cheaper than FedEx obviously and I avoid UPS at almost all cost when shipping from the US to Canada.

I've seen similar parts on eBay but this unit is VERY well made and I wouldn't want to get a knock off of it. You want this one.

EDIT:

Found it on the Nebtek site...

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=HBM

Last edited by Andrew Stone; May 31st, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks for the link and info Andrew, Regards!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I recently saw these LCD monitor advertised....

LCD Video Monitors - LCD Monitors - LCD4Video

Anyone had experience with them? They seem very reasonably priced

Thanks

Ronnie
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #29
Major Player

Haven't specifically had experience with this monitor. Does seem like very good value. However, at that price point you know the LCD panel used may have very good representational color directly on axis, in front of the screen, but off axis it will not.

If you are primarily looking for a focusing monitor it would give you incredible bang for the buck having HD-SDI ports which generally alone are a $300 to $400 option on brand name monitors.

I have bought stuff from this outfit before and have been pleased with the goods.

You noted, I trust, the pixel aspect ratio is 800 x 400.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #30
Trustee

In my part of the world the TVLogic 5.6 seems to have won this battle. Pretty good color and good red peaking function make it useable to check focus, but you still have to be careful - at least with an F3. EX-1 should be easier.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds