DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   BBC News footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/493105-bbc-news-footage.html)

Attila Cser March 14th, 2011 03:48 PM

BBC News footage

I've been noticing that the footages done on BBC News cams from various part of the world look different to the ones being broadcast on other channels.

I presume that the BBC NEWS is done on other cam than EX1R, but still I was just wondering if anyone could contribute some PP setting for EX1R which could match the look of BBC News footages.
( I hope that such PP has not been filed earlier here, if yes I'm sorry and pls. provide the link)
Thanks in advance..

Andy Wilkinson March 14th, 2011 04:12 PM

Re: BBC News footage

Looks different in what way? Can you be more specific?

Attila Cser March 14th, 2011 09:46 PM

Andy,
It seems to me that their settings are more close to "film look" than to TV.
The colours, the tones feel more cine type, richer-deeper than just an orderly TV look.
This is to compared to other news channels under same TV (monitor) setting.
I've noticed this "same setting" on various BBC footages coming from various places of the globe, so thought that they had given specific settings to camera operators.

I like that look in deed that's why I was wondering if someone here films for BBC on EX1R or with XDCAM and could share the PP settings. I do have the PP settings suggested on this forum set but could not achieve the same.
( I also doubt that they would treat the news footages afterwards during the edit, as it would make more sense to set their cams. Of course I could experiment on my EX1R but asking around might be a faster option)

Don Greening March 15th, 2011 12:20 AM

I haven't been paying attention lately but it used to be that North American television always had more colour saturation than European broadcasts. TV in Europe looked more realistic to me. If you want deeper hues and saturation why not try the 'hi sat' setting:

picture profile > set > matrix > select > hi sat

and make sure you turn the setting on before you exit the menu.

- Don

Vincent Oliver March 15th, 2011 01:38 AM

Most footage will be shot flat and colour graded at a later stage. For news coverage they will have a preset in the system that applies grading on-the-fly. Of course the grading will have all been worked out by technicians.

I know many videographers want to see everything clean and colour corrected straight out of camera, but this isn't necessarily going to be the best method for working, unless you're into same day edits for weddings and even then in my opinion it isn't the best solution.

A flat shot will give you far more scope to fine tune the final output. A shot that has been altered in camera will have been pushed one way or the other, which may limit the amount of corrections that can be applied at a later stage.

Stills photographers have the luxury of shooting RAW files, we don't, unless you invest in a Red system, so the best solution is to shoot as flat as possible - which will probably look awful until graded.

You might want to take a look at this book Color Correction Handbook - Alexis Van Hurkman - Peachpit Press - $59.99 - includes a DVD - ISBN 978-0-321-71311-7

Mick Mearman March 15th, 2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attila Cser (Post 1627914)
I've been noticing that the footages done on BBC News cams from various part of the world look different to the ones being broadcast on other channels.

I presume that the BBC NEWS is done on other cam than EX1R, but still I was just wondering if anyone could contribute some PP setting for EX1R which could match the look of BBC News footages.
( I hope that such PP has not been filed earlier here, if yes I'm sorry and pls. provide the link)
Thanks in advance..

I have noticed this but I think it's more likely that in some of these war torn countries there is a lack of bandwidth so they're throwing a field away which would give a sort of film look?
Mick

John Peterson March 15th, 2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Greening (Post 1628005)
I haven't been paying attention lately but it used to be that North American television always had more colour saturation than European broadcasts. TV in Europe looked more realistic to me. If you want deeper hues and saturation why not try the 'hi sat' setting:

picture profile > set > matrix > select > hi sat

and make sure you turn the setting on before you exit the menu.

- Don

I always thought that PAL had more color saturation than NTSC?

John

Don Greening March 15th, 2011 10:21 AM

Perhaps. My statement wasn't based on science or facts. It was just my observation. Even if there is more colour sat. in PAL that doesn't mean they used it.

- Don

Shaun Roemich March 15th, 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1628076)
I always thought that PAL had more color saturation than NTSC?

John

It's not that PAL has MORE stauration exactly but the location of the colour sharing sites is different (4:2:0 versus 4:1:1 which has always seemed to me aesthetically to have more beautiful colour)... This is of course assuming that the broadcaster isn't sourcing and BROADCASTING in 4:2:2...

Attila Cser March 16th, 2011 01:13 AM

Thanks for your inputs and advises.
If you actually check their News clips those look far better IMHO than most others, the image is much crisper and better quality.( I don't work 4 them) That is most probably because of their cams I suppose, but still it's either graded later ( Vincent thanks for the book tip) or just done with a nice PP setting :-)
I do remember that we had some post on BBC's recommendation on settings just can't find that post...

Vincent Oliver March 16th, 2011 01:27 AM

Here we go

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Click on the Download button located on the left hand side.

Attila Cser March 16th, 2011 01:35 AM

Many thnks Vincent

Dave Gosley March 16th, 2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1628336)
Here we go

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Click on the Download button located on the left hand side.

Thank you!