DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Matte Box recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/493131-matte-box-recommendation.html)

Peter Ford March 15th, 2011 11:46 AM

Matte Box recommendation

Hi all,

I'm looking for matte box recommendations.

I know most people go for ones that fit on rails, but we need to be as light as possible, so we're looking for a clip on mattebox, with a french flag, that takes 4x4 filters.

What have people used and would recommend?

many thanks

Iker Riera March 15th, 2011 01:00 PM

Re: Matte Box recommendation

Genus Matte Box

Jacques Mersereau March 18th, 2011 07:12 AM

I have two Redrock micro boxes with the swing away feature.
They are big and pretty beefy. I don't like that the eyebrow and side flags being unable to truly lock in, but in their price range this was the best value (need rails too).

I don't know the Genus, but I don't see anyplace for filters?

The RRM has two slots.

YMMV

Iker Riera March 18th, 2011 11:36 AM

The Genus has 2 filter trays, one fixed and one that rotates.

I would go for the RedRock too if using it on 15mm rails. For a clamp-on/lightweight style the Genus fits the bill.

Andrew Stone March 19th, 2011 06:12 PM

Hi Peter,

You being from the UK should have a look at the matte boxes from True Lens Service. A good number of shooters over the years have spoken highly of their matteboxes.

True Lens Service can be found here: True Lens Services

Leonard Levy March 22nd, 2011 10:52 AM

Petroff at Zacuto

Darren Ruddock March 23rd, 2011 10:36 AM

Hi,

I went for the Genus.

We had the Redrock for our EX1. Looked great and is great quality but if you are using it in a run and gun situation forget it! I was so frightened of smashing it against things because it is so big.

The other main problem we found is vignetting. With the EX1 the Redock sits very close to the LCD and makes it impossible to fold it away. This also makes it very hard to align the mattebox perfectly and at full wide we found vignetting.

Just my experience, but the Genus is perfect for the EX1. We got a good deal with a polariser, ND9 and a grad thrown in.

Sold the Redrock!

Jacques Mersereau March 23rd, 2011 10:39 AM

I agree that the Redrock is big and kinda stupid big. I use it with an EX3 and wide angle adapter, and yes,
it is right at the edge of vignetting, but it doesn't when set perfectly.

The other suggestion may well be much better for all the reasons given.

J

Dave Morrison March 23rd, 2011 11:03 AM

I went with the Arri MMB-1 after putting the guys at Abel Cinetech through hell (sorry Matt). I tried the Chrosziel, but you could NOT close the LCD screen with it mounted. On the Arri, you can open and close it albeit with a bit of scuffing. I went with the model that bottom loads so that I can properly place my ND grad filter properly. The other think I like about the Arri is that I still have full access to my screw-in threads on the EX1 allowing me to use traditional Polarizers instead of having to buy a big square or rectangular one that would only rotate partially due to the overhanging mic issue.

Alister Chapman March 24th, 2011 11:02 AM

TLS designed the Genus Matte Boxes, so you will find the TLS and Genus Matte boxes to be very similar. The TLS units are made at TLS's own UK facility and are beautifully crafted, while Genus ones are manufactured in China. Genus have their own QA people in China so the quality is normally very good.

Note that I do have a connection with both TLS and Genus as they are manufacturing the 3D rig I designed.

Joe Cain April 6th, 2013 07:39 PM

I'm looking to purchase a Chrosziel matte box for my PMW 200. I have the 15mm light-weight-rod system, but I'm unsure of the matte box diameter I need for my camera. I prefer a fixture other than the flexible stretch ring. What is the proper diameter for secure clamping to the PMW 200 lens?

Andrew Stone April 7th, 2013 06:49 PM

ZGC is the go to place for Chrosziel products. They will probably know the diameter of the lens front and be able to give you the ring adapter part number and price over the phone.

The PMW-200 may have the same lens diameter as the EX3 but I don't know. Google wasn't helpful.

I would suggest giving them a call.