DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Perplexing FCP Log and Transfer issue with XDCAM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/493135-perplexing-fcp-log-transfer-issue-xdcam.html)

Jonathan Bird March 15th, 2011 01:19 PM

Perplexing FCP Log and Transfer issue with XDCAM

Hi Everyone,
I have a problem that is driving me nuts and I'm hoping one of you XDCAM experts can tell me what is up.

I have a drive full of XDCAM footage, copied from SxS cards. The footage has it's BPAV directory structure 100% intact. If I hook the drive to my Mac 8 core Intel-based desktop machine running OS 10.5.8 and FCP 6.0.6, I can import these clips just fine using Log and Transfer. However, I installed the Sony Log and Transfer plug in at least a year or so ago. I don't remember it being a big issue. It works fine.

I have just recently installed the Log and Transfer app on my laptop. It will not work through FCP. I get the "... contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." error.

The laptop is also an Intel-based machine, running the same OS as the desktop (10.5.8). Running the same version of FCP as the desktop (6.0.6). Because I have recently installed the Sony stuff, newer drivers were installed because they were just downloaded today.

I installed:
•SxS Device Driver
•XDCAM Transfer 2.12
•FAM Driver 2.3.1 (because the Sony site says to install this after the Transfer plug in because it's a newer version of the FAM driver.)

Is that everything I need to use Log and Transfer for XDCAM from the EX1 on FCP? Am I missing something?

When I open the Sony Transfer application, it does a check and tells me that all the components are installed except the XDCAM Drive software, which I don't think I need because I don't have an XDCAM drive.

The stand alone application reads the XDCAM video files just fine on the laptop. File structures are fine.

But FCP still will not read them through the Log and Transfer window. I must be missing something.

I have searched this site widely for this issue and it seems like most people have problems because they messed up the BPAV file structure. I have not. (Like I said, it works on my other computer just fine and on the laptop using the stand alone app. It is only the Log and Transfer on the laptop that will not work.)

Anyone have any idea what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Jonathan Bird March 15th, 2011 01:32 PM

Re: Perplexing FCP Log and Transfer issue with XDCAM

I may have answered my own question. Seems I may have missed a plug in.

The FCP Log and Transfer plug in!! Duh.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...l-PDZKLT1.aspx

Maybe this will help the next guy. :)

Don Greening March 15th, 2011 01:42 PM

It sounds more like an Mac OS thing than anything else. A colleague of mine recently had problems of a similar nature with her laptop. Her cards were not recognized in the Express slot. I ran Disk Utility from another laptop firewired to hers (target disk mode) and there were issues with her hard drive. After the fix everything worked. So, things to try:

Run Disk Utility to repair permissions before and after any software install
Get Disk Utility to scan your startup drive for issues (using another computer or your OS install disk)
If you have DiskWarrior use that to rebuild your startup drive's directory.

- Don

Update: or disregard my advice because you've solved your issue :-)

Jonathan Bird March 15th, 2011 06:28 PM

Thanks Don!

As it turns out, Sony is very unhelpful in telling people what is required for XDCAM. The "XDCAM Transfer" application is implied in their website to be the app required for FCP but only as an import device, not as a Log and Transfer plug in. There is a completely separate place on the Sony site for the Log and Transfer plug in, that is not easy to find unless you google it and know what you are looking for. (I linked it in my previous post). Very annoying! Anyway, perhaps this dumb mistake on my part will help someone in the future.

Jonathan

Don Greening March 15th, 2011 10:29 PM

I'm sure it will help someone in the future. The canadian Sony site is a little easier to navigate when looking for software updates and support:

SONY XDCAM EX

- Don

Jonathan Bird March 16th, 2011 07:15 AM

Leave it to you clever Canadians!! :D