sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1
New Boot

sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1

posted this in the audio forum, but thought ex1 owners might have some insight in case it does have something to do with the camera setup

Hello, I searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for, so i'm posting here. Basically, I'm having issues with my Sennheiser ew100 wireless microphone system. My range is super limited, like 10 feet, and even within that range I get little bursts of static a fair amount of the time (although not always). I actually have access to two ew100 systems, and I get this with both of them, so I'm thinking it has something to do with my setup, or perhaps some settings. Anyway, this is how I have my EX1 set up usually -

Channel 1, set to mic input, the wireless receiver plugged in, mounted on a hot shoe near the back of the camera.

Channel 2, set to mic + 48hz (or whatever the measurement unit is), with my Rode NTG-1 shotgun plugged into that, taking power from the camera.

I've tried changing frequencies, but that hasn't helped. Movement seems to exacerbate the problem, and I could be imagining that. I believe the 5 reception bars usually drop to 4 on the receiver whenever there's one of the static bursts. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide. This problem has been haunting me!
Joe Spitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1

What frequency block is your EW100 using? A, B, or C?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Major Player

So when you say two EW100 systems, does that mean two different receivers and two different transmitters? If that is the case, then it sounds like a case of interference from an external source, especially when it varies as you move around. Some of the frequency options that Sennheiser provides are in the Off-Air Television frequency bands, so there could be overlap from a local TV station.

The RF interference could also be intermodulation and/or spurious harmonics from two nearby transmitters that are close in frequency. External sources of RF interference are not always very easy to pin-point.

As suggested above, try setting your wireless frequency to completely different bands i.e. A, B, C. That should allow you to rule out external sources of RF interference. Good luck.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually, my question about the frequency blocks has more to do with what else might be interfering with his signal in his area. I can't tell from his description whether this is a new Senn set or whether it's a new problem with an older set. When analog TV stations went off the air, some of the frequencies were reallocated and some older wireless systems may not work properly. My Senns are on the "B" block of frequencies (626 MHz to 662 MHz) so luckily I didn't have any issues after the changeover. Here's a link to the FCC page: Operation of Wireless Mics in 700 MHz Band

Of course, this might be a worthless discussion if it's just a defective wireless set, but it sounds like it's acting up across a couple xmitters.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds