Blindsided by an EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Blindsided by an EX3

Please excuse this totally stupid question, but I am just floored. I hope I am wrong. I just received my new EX3. I thought I knew something about this camcorder, but I can't find a functioning shutter adjustment. Could it be true that the only way to adjust the shutter on this device is through the menu!!!
It can't be!!! This is supposed to be a piece of professional equipment. Please someone tell me it isn't so.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Blindsided by an EX3

Not a stupid question and luckily you are wrong.

What changes have you made to the camera so far?

Go into the menu and make sure you haven't changed the "Direct menu" setting in the "Others" menu. If you have set it to OFF you won't have access to many of the settings from the viewfinder.

Also make sure you DON'T have the SHUTTER switch set to OFF. That causes the camera to set a 360deg shutter.

Hopefully that will get you going.

Last edited by Chris Medico; March 23rd, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Chris Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you are right. Unfortunately, not seeing the shutter settings on the viewfinder isn't the problem. Your suggestions still sound "menu-based". Where is a little button I can push to change the shutter speed?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There is no dedicated button for shutter speed.

Here is the jist of how its done:

You need to make sure the shutter speed is displayed on the viewfinder. If it is then you can use the jog wheel on the back of the camera to select the shutter speed on the display then click the jog wheel and change it. You don't have to go through the string of menus. Its very easy and quick to change shutter speed. For this to work you have to have the direct access setting set to "part" or "full".

You can also turn off the items displayed on the viewfinder so you don't have as many to scroll across till you get to shutter.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

The jog shuttle wheel sounds exactly like what I need. Many, many thanks. I will try your plan tonight.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Steve:

Also, make sure you have the physical shutter button turned on. It's on the front of the camera, underneath the lens.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Major Player

... or you could use the little controller joystick on the top of the camera (which also can move you through menus quickly when you go into the menu.) Click it once to highlight an item in the viewfinder, move it to navigate to the shutter setting, click to open the available shutter options, move up or down to choose a speed, click to accept.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Steve:

Also, make sure you have the physical shutter button turned on. It's on the front of the camera, underneath the lens.
Exactly, right beside the white balance button is the switch for shutter. It is labelled as well.

If that is your problem, don't feel bad lots of us didn't see it at first glance either.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting this info. Very helpful to me also.

-Nathan
Nathan Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds