sony plant shutdown/no new cam production? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Major Player

sony plant shutdown/no new cam production?

found out today that considering the mess in japan. sony is moving their headquarters to la for now.
there is no more tape coming out of japan and whatever cameras are in stock here in US is what there is.
I guess i need to decide on the ex1r or the nxcam before theyre gone. what a mess.
ive got 200 used dvcam tapes was going to throw away, but talked to people out there saying some may have to buy used tapes if theyre still tape based shooting.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

re: sony plant shutdown/no new cam production?

Where did you get that information from. I have spoken directly with friends of mine that are engineers at the Atsugi factory, where the XDCAM, HDCAM and SR cameras are made and at the moment everything is running pretty much as normal. There may be future parts shortages from 3rd party suppliers, but at the moment AFAIK they are still operating. Same for Shinegawa where the NXCAM's are made. Some of the studio and XDCAM HD cameras are made in the UK at the Pencoed factory which was not directly affected, although again future component shortages could cause problems.

It is true that the Sendai technology center and tape/media factory was all but wiped out by the Tsunami and that tape, blu-ray and optical disc production at that factory has stopped, but at the moment Sony do hold a large amount of stock. DV tapes will be easy enough to get as there are many manufacturers of these all over the world.

There may also be shipping and logistics delays, but I think reports of "no more cameras" are somewhat exaggerated. There may be fewer and there may be some shortages but I would imagine that Sony are actively sourcing components from countries not affected by the disaster.
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

re: sony plant shutdown/no new cam production?

it was second hand , so maybe it got exaggerated. so youre saying i dont have to worry about being able to get the big sony dvcam 184 tapes?ive got jobs booked all summer through august, and im certainly not going to use tapes ive already recorded on.
hopefully i wont have to buy the panasonic dvcam tapes .
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Re: sony plant shutdown/no new cam production?

Thread title edited to add a "?" since it is second-hand hearsay with no attributable source and not known to be true.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: sony plant shutdown/no new cam production?

AFAIK Sony have about 3 months supply of tape stock in the warehouses. After then... who knows.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds