DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sxs alternatives for new ex1r (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/493824-sxs-alternatives-new-ex1r.html)

Jim Stamos March 30th, 2011 02:14 PM

sxs alternatives for new ex1r

since im getting the r, how reliable are the alternatives to the sxs cards, being that theyre so high now.
i hear the hoodman are pretty good, but i was looking at the sandisc 32gb class 10 extremes for them. hoodman recommends their cards.
anyone used the sandisc in hoodman adaptors or is it safest to go with the sony adaptor.
thanks

Marcus Durham March 30th, 2011 03:00 PM

Re: sxs alternatives for new ex1r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1633384)
since im getting the r, how reliable are the alternatives to the sxs cards, being that theyre so high now.
i hear the hoodman are pretty good, but i was looking at the sandisc 32gb class 10 extremes for them. hoodman recommends their cards.
anyone used the sandisc in hoodman adaptors or is it safest to go with the sony adaptor.
thanks

We pretty much get this question asked once a week. Why not read through the forum first before posting? We went though all of this just a few days ago and frankly we're just re-treading old ground.

The only thing we haven't covered much is the Sony adaptor. IMO it's overpriced and offers no benefit unless a Sony sticker makes you feel all warm inside (such people do exist).

Keith Dobie March 31st, 2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1633384)
i was looking at the sandisc 32gb class 10 extremes for them. hoodman recommends their cards.
thanks

Hoodman states on their website that they recommend using their own RAW cards, and that the Sandisk are just compatible :

What other SDHC memory cards are compatible with the RAW SxSxSDHC adapter?
We recommend using Hoodman RAW SDHC memory found only at photo dealers or on the Hoodman website...RAW SDHC memory is the only memory built in the USA. [marketing-speak removed] We have found that the Sandisk Ultra II & the Transcend SDHC memory cards will work with the system and will be a less expensive and less reliable alternative.

Dean Sensui April 1st, 2011 01:24 AM

I just ordered the new MxM adapter (MXML SDXC) which is supposed to allow the use of SDHC UHS-1 cards with the Sony EX1.

These cards by SanDisk are supposed to have a data transfer rate of 45 MB/sec., compared to 30 MB/sec for the SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards.

These new SDHC UHS-1 32-gigabyte cards seems to work in my EX1 with the original MxR adapters.

It also works in my Canon Vixia HF21 and on the desktop of my MacBook Pro with the MxR adapters.

Wolfgang Winne April 11th, 2011 12:17 AM

<sxs alternatives for new ex1r>

500GB Harddisc & USB Stick ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hide USB 2.0 to ExpressCard 34 54 Express Card Adapter BC268
http://www.trait-tech.com/product/T-PCA-5057/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfgangs VideoBlog - April 2011

video:

Les Wilson April 11th, 2011 06:53 AM

My experience with the MxM SSD Recorder is that I hit a limit of 600 files on the hard disk. Even though there was more hard disk space available, the EX1r reports Media Full. I am interested to know if Wolfgang's rig has this limit or if it's an EX1r limitation.

Some nice things I appreciate about the MxM design are that there's an accessory for mounting the drive on the EX1r, the card's connector is the small USB type, the MxM SSD recorder cable is a right angle connector, the enclosure can hold a disk instead of an SSD and no external power is required (i.e. the disk is powered from the camera.

Marcus Durham April 11th, 2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1637542)
My experience with the MxM SSD Recorder is that I hit a limit of 600 files on the hard disk.

The recording device neither knows nor cares what is being recorded to it. File limits such as naming conventions or number of files are always down to the firmware or operating system on the controlling device.

Piotr Wozniacki April 13th, 2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1633979)
I just ordered the new MxM adapter (MXML SDXC) which is supposed to allow the use of SDHC UHS-1 cards with the Sony EX1.

These cards by SanDisk are supposed to have a data transfer rate of 45 MB/sec., compared to 30 MB/sec for the SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards.

These new SDHC UHS-1 32-gigabyte cards seems to work in my EX1 with the original MxR adapters.

It also works in my Canon Vixia HF21 and on the desktop of my MacBook Pro with the MxR adapters.

I also am using the MxM SDXC adapter, but have yet to purchase some SDXC cards - so far, have been testing the adapter with the Sandisk SDHC UHS-1. The combo works great, and offers full functionality.

Serdeczne Dzieki to Marek & Maggie!

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki April 13th, 2011 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1637542)
My experience with the MxM SSD Recorder is that I hit a limit of 600 files on the hard disk. Even though there was more hard disk space available, the EX1r reports Media Full. I am interested to know if Wolfgang's rig has this limit or if it's an EX1r limitation.

Some nice things I appreciate about the MxM design are that there's an accessory for mounting the drive on the EX1r, the card's connector is the small USB type, the MxM SSD recorder cable is a right angle connector, the enclosure can hold a disk instead of an SSD and no external power is required (i.e. the disk is powered from the camera.

I'm also a happy user of the MxM SSD complete solution - and I agree with Marcus that any file number limit is not something imposed by their controller, or SSD drive.

Piotr

Dean Sensui April 13th, 2011 04:15 AM

This weekend I was using one of the UHS-1 cards in the MxM adapter to play back HD video in XDCamEX format at our booth at the Hawaiian Ocean Expo. It worked a lot better than the Firewire drive I was using previously. And it'a s lot more compact, too.

Video from the G-Tech "pocket" sized drive would occasionally stutter. But video would stream smoothly from the UHS-1 card.