Is there any difference in these SanDisk Cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Is there any difference in these SanDisk Cards?

Is there any difference in these two cards?
SanDisk Extreme 30MB/sec Secure Digital Card (SDHC) CLASS 10 - 16GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card

I have the MxML adaptor and would like to know if I could use the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card in it.
Is it a Class 6 or Class 10 Card?

I tend to use ATP 16GB Cards but just saw this on Amazon.

Thanks,
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is there any difference in these SanDisk Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Is there any difference in these two cards?
SanDisk Extreme 30MB/sec Secure Digital Card (SDHC) CLASS 10 - 16GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card

I have the MxML adaptor and would like to know if I could use the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card in it.
Is it a Class 6 or Class 10 Card?

I tend to use ATP 16GB Cards but just saw this on Amazon.

Thanks,
Not seen the UHS-I memory card but a quick check on the MxM site reveals that they appear to have tested it and say it is OK in the 16gb and 32gb variants. It looks as if it is slightly faster than the standard Extreme card.

For EX1 use there is probably little difference between the 2. UHS-I is neither class 6 nor class 10, but Class 10 UHS-I which is a separate grade apparently.

The tested media page on the MxM site is always worth checking out as they test new cards for 300 hours. I see they've also added lots of information on the new SDXC cards as well.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you Marcus,

For that information.

Thats the first of those SDHC UHS-I Memory Cards I've seen and wasn't sure if they could be used in the MxML adaptor.

Thanks, I'll do as you advised and have a look at the MXM site.
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Tony.
I dont know the ins and outs of this card, but it might be worth following this up.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...disk-sdhc.html
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I just got the UHS-1 cards and from an initial brief test it seems to work in my EX1 using the MxR adapter. But to be safe, I just ordered the new MxM adapter.

It also works in my Canon Vixia HF21 and my MacBook Pro can read them with the MxR adapter.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

BTW, the UHS-1 cards are supposed to be rated at 45 MB/sec. The SanDisk Extreme cards are 30 MB/sec.

Also, the Extreme cards don't seem to be available at B&H anymore. Perhaps they were replaced with the UHS-1 cards.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Colin and Dean.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Major Player

dean, the mxm adaptor you are ordering, is this the hoodman one?
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
Hoodman cards are MxM's with a different label. MxM produce them for Hoodman.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
Hi Jim... This is a new line of MxM cards. I purchased it directly from MxM.

MXML SDXC Adapter for Sony XDCAM EX CAMERA with case - (MXML16) - MXM Express

"NEW MXML USB 2.0 SDHC/SDXC Adapter with case
compatible with Sony’s EX1/EX3/EX1R/PMW-320/350/500/F-3
The only adapter designed for UHS-1 SDHC/SDXC memory cards."

The new MxML Expresscard/34 reader has been specifically designed to accommodate the new generation of memory cards based on UHS-1 bus lane protocol. This specificaton allows a perfect match between the new MxML SDXC adapter and new generation UHS-1 memory cards.

The advantage being faster read up to 40 MB/s and faster write, anywhere up to 35 MB/s.

The design of the MxML incorporates a protective latch door to prolong your investment in memory cards and protect them from moisture, dust and accidental ejection.

It allows the media chamber door to totally closed on the XDCam EX series cameras. The MxML utilizes a very reliable push in/push out mechanism and is embodied in a rugged stainless steel case.
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The MXML SDXC adapters came in today. I was surprised at the prompt delivery as I ordered it from Australia on on March 30, and it arrived in Hawaii just a few minutes ago.

These cards feature an SDHC slot that's deeply recessed with a small hinged door to "lock" the SDHC card in place. This prevents accidental ejection of the SDHC card while still allowing the EX1's door to slide shut. The tiny plastic door seems very delicate but only if it's left open. Once it's clicked shut, it's flush with the edge of the card and shouldn't be in danger of being broken.

Keep in mind that if you have an absent-minded, ham-handed assistant it could be a problem.

Included is a case for the card -- similar to the one Sony has for their SxS cards but an easy-to-see orange color. I have to admit that I've never personally used these cases and keep all my SxS cards in a nylon pouch.

I purchased three of them, one for each of the UHS-1 SDHC cards I have. So they'll probably be semi-permanently mated to each other.

As soon as I inserted them into my EX1 it asked if the card should be initialized, so it was immediately recognized. The 32-gigabyte SDHC UHS-1 card was shown to have 115 minutes available which is about right.

As for cost: Total for 32-gigabyte SDHC UHS-1 card and MxML adapter, not including shipping: $194. Price of a lower-priced Sony SxS card, $747 plus shipping. So there is a significant savings. I don't have any time on these card/adapters yet so I can't testify regarding their reliability. But prior experience with SDHC cards and the MxR adapters was free of problems.

I'm running the camera right now to check for function but I don't foresee any problems.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Major Player

I'lll be very interested in your results, Dean. As much as I hate the MxM and SD card combos I wasted money on previously, I'd still like to have something like this new combo in my bag just for cases when things run long and my SxS cards are all full.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dave...

I did an initial test last night and ran all three cards until they were full. No hangups at all. I did have to stop and change batteries, tho. For the first time recording capacity has exceeded battery capacity.

If it matters, I've only been using SanDisc SDHC cards and haven't had any difficulties so far. I figure if SanDisk is the contractor for the manufacture of Sony cards, it's likely they go through similar quality control standards.

Most of my shooting is done with my original Sony SxS cards. One of them started to give me a bit of trouble so i used a little contact cleaner in the card and that seemed to clear it up.

Also, when I first got the UHS-1 cards it didn't work in the MxR adapter. However I noticed that when switching to a different slot in the EX1 it was recognized. I inserted it back into the first slot and it was recognized. So I used a small amount of contact cleaner in the adapter and it also seemed to work.

Considering the conditions in which I work most of the time, it's no surprise that contacts could become a problem. So I usually take great care in keeping them clean. It's become apparent I also have to make sure the cards' contacts are kept clean, too.

The SDHC solution is mostly as a fallback. But for certain jobs, such as the annual ukulele festival here, I have to keep two cameras rolling for 4 hours. That's the reason for the 32-gig cards.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
The MXML SDXC adapters came in today. I was surprised at the prompt delivery as I ordered it from Australia on on March 30, and it arrived in Hawaii just a few minutes ago.
As I've commented before, MxM always seem to be able to get stuff to me in the UK faster than certain UK based retailers can ship using their standard services.

I am yet to try the new Sandisk cards. I have one of the new adaptors but just haven't got around to it. I'll be interested to see if ATP do a UHS-I version of their cards as I do tend to prefer ATP over Sandisk (I operate mainly ATP with a couple of Sandisks).

The point about clean contacts is very important and not one we've talked about before either with SDHC solutions or SxS. It takes very little to create a poor contact between camera and card. Cards should always be returned to a case after use. If you are working in a harsh environment like Dean is, do keep an eye on any build up on the card contacts or inside the camera.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Major Player

Just been having a play with one of the new UHS-I cards from Sandisk in a new SDXC MXM adaptor.

Seems to work flawlessly. Transfer from card the computer is slightly faster (I need to time this properly). Can't make the camera fall over when overcranking to 50fps when doing the usual test ensuring there is something moving in the frame to keep the VBR codec working.

I note that these are the first Sandisk cards I've seen to claim they are waterproof, shockproof, x-ray proof and able to operate from -25c to 85c. No claims about static unlike the ATP cards.

First impression is that these new cards look very promising and will hopefully be widely available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds