XDCAM files in iMovie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
New Boot

XDCAM files in iMovie

I have some 720p 30fps footage shot on the Sony EX-1r that a client wants to edit on his MacBook Pro. He has Final Cut Express (not FCP) but isn't familiar with the program and wants to edit this footage in iMovie. His OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and his iMovie is 8.0.6. What will he need to install on the MacBook Pro to ingest the footage directly from the Sony SxS card into iMovie? Is that possible? If not, can it be taken into Final Cut Express and wrapped or converted to a format that iMovie could then accept? If not, what would you suggest as the best way to accomplish this goal?

I'm not a MAC person and he's an amateur that doesn't want to have to purchase converters, decoders, etc. If the SxS card method isn't possible, what other way would you suggest to get the footage to work on his MacBook Pro in iMovie or Final Cut Express? Could he use the footage if I provide it to him on a hard drive? I have a G-tech RAID but it is formatted for Windows, not MAC.

Thanks for your help!
Sherry Buchla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XDCAM files in iMovie

If he installs the free sony software 'XDCAM transfer' utility, he will be able to import straight from the SxS cards.

Can be downloaded from sony's website. Can take a bit of searching, as Sony seem to make far too many different importing and file managing utlities for xdcam.

XDCAM transfer imports the footage to your chosen hard drive, and rewraps everything into mac friendly .movs

imovie should be able to edit these .movs

(i say should- the xdcam codec might be installed as of the final cut pro)

hope thats of some help!
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for the response but I'm not clear on this:

Are you saying the Xdcam codec is installed on Final Cut Pro? What about Final Cut Express? (as the client doesn't have Final Cut Pro). If the codec is not a part of Final Cut Express, I assume the suggested method will not work? What other options would there be without the client having to purchase the codec?

I appreciate your help!
Sherry Buchla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Without uninstalling software to test, i'm afraid I can't really answer! All my machines have FCP and sony's XDCAM transfer installed.

At least with XDCAM transfer software, your client should be able to import the footage to his computer - i have no idea if final cut express supports XDCAM EX though.

sorry, wish i could be of more help!
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Buchla View Post
Thank you for the response but I'm not clear on this:

Are you saying the Xdcam codec is installed on Final Cut Pro? What about Final Cut Express? (as the client doesn't have Final Cut Pro). If the codec is not a part of Final Cut Express, I assume the suggested method will not work? What other options would there be without the client having to purchase the codec?

I appreciate your help!
Final Cut Express works only with the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for what concerns HD videos, otherwise it has DV for standard definition.
XDCAM codecs are only installed with Final Cut Pro.
Not really sure whether the Sony Transfer tool will allow you to transcode from XDCAM to AIC, but if it does you might have your way around for your client to handle those HD clips with FCE.

Regards,
Armando.
Armando Accardo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds