Running out of batteries on a boat... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Running out of batteries on a boat...

"Can you just get a big extension cable and tether the camera to the power supply? How big is the boat?"

Anything laying on the deck can become a trip hazard, get caught in something, etc.
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
"Can you just get a big extension cable and tether the camera to the power supply? How big is the boat?"

Anything laying on the deck can become a trip hazard, get caught in something, etc.
Not necessarily. Its just another tool in the kit to be used when needed. I have filmed on a small fishing boat using cables. Sailors tend to be fairly surefooted in my opinion. Fishermen are used to working around nets and ropes. You just have to remind them where it is (same as with light cables on a regular set).

It doesn't mean the cable has to be there all the time. But if you're shooting fairly static shots; say the captain at the wheel, or interviewing a crew member at dinner, then you can use your intuition and decide if you want to save the batteries or not.

If you're up on deck in a squall, the crew are bailing like mad and pirates are off the port side, then yeah probably best to pack the cable away...
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Major Player

You can run the camera from a 12v battery belt I expect. They are fairly cheap compared to camera specific batteries. Any decent film hire company will have loads of them. Or get a load of NP1s and a clip on adaptor.
You could even power from a 12v lead acid, but you might want to run through a regulator first.
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Sailors tend to be fairly surefooted in my opinion. Fishermen are used to working around nets and ropes...
No, not them. Me. I'd be tripping over it! :-)
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
No, not them. Me. I'd be tripping over it! :-)
Aaah. Yes, I can relate. The first day I ever worked as a Runner on a big TV production I tripped over a light. I managed to catch it by gripping the burning hot barn doors. All this in front of a line of grips and sparks who were drinking tea. First day on set!
Still, I've been good with cables ever since....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #21
Major Player

When I started out kicking a lightstand meant buying the first round of drinks back at the hotel in the evening.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #22
Major Player

you have to have the right gear for any job. Buy more batteries. I have 4 and feel that is the minimum that should be in a kit like this. Absolutely stupid & unprofessional to be scrambling around trying to keep up with something as cheap as batteries.

If you haven't had an in depth conversation with the boat captain or one of his subordinates, you are not doing your job. You should have been talking all kinds of details about what he needs and what you need. It's called preproduction. It's part of the job. If people are getting in between you and the captain, go around them.

Likely the boat has a large battery bank that can supply an inverter for some, or all of your needs.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Since you have power during the day, why can't you backup your cards during the day as you shoot them? You don't have an ExpressCard slot, so get a USB card reader.
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Tim - only sony's usb reader reads SxS pro cards, and its quite pricey for just a card reader. Running back to cabin to offload footage while Im trying to film would just be a nightmare anyway.

But, managed to resolve my issue - bit of discussion with the client and the captain of the boat, and they're going to run the genny through the night for me.

Flying out on monday, and it should be a great shoot. I've been spending all afternoon tweaking picture profile settings in my garden, and being fastidious with kit packing. I'm sure theres more fun things to do on a bank holiday!

Thanks for all your input everyone. Always good to have other ways of looking at a problem
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Peter said:

....bit of discussion with the client and the captain of the boat, and they're going to run the genny through the night for me.

Well duh. And once again, the most simple solution proves to be the best. :)
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:22 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
There's two approaches I'm happy with, but your mileage may (will) vary:

i) I am a great proponent of having enough media for a shoot so that you NEVER (as in EVER) delete media on the shoot. SxS-1, SDHC, whatever. Rent it, buy it, invest in it, but don't erase onsite - and if possible, back it up on-site anyway.

ii) A colleague who does lots of adventurous stuff with his EX3, hanging off mountains or traipsing through jungles, swears by 'Expedition Batteries':

Welcome to Automated Media System

I, personally, due to being somewhat more genetically similar to a house cat, have not had such experiences as it might involve getting wet, or cold. Or too far from lunch. So I cannot speak of them personally, but his tales of derring do with an EX3 and NanoFlash to feed, where a suitable mains outlet is a plane-trip away, is enough to pass on his recommendation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds