DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   What's up with SXS pro cards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/494271-whats-up-sxs-pro-cards.html)

Denny Kyser April 7th, 2011 03:54 PM

What's up with SXS pro cards?

I noticed today BH Photo no longer even shows these cards. I know they were there yesterday. I have some 16 and 32 gig to sell but wondering if there will be a shortage on them. If so may pay to hold off a while

Don Greening April 7th, 2011 10:42 PM

Re: What's up with SXS pro cards?

[QUOTE=Denny Kyser;1636564I have some 16 and 32 gig to sell but wondering if there will be a shortage on them. If so may pay to hold off a while[/QUOTE]

Without any positive feedback so far to the contrary I would simply assume that there will be a shortage in the foreseeable future. A couple weeks ago the prices for SxS Pro cards took a big jump and now, as you say, they're no longer listed. That speaks volumes to me.

- Don

Eugene J. Kulak April 8th, 2011 06:36 AM

I was just on the B&H web site and they show them, in stock..

Chris Medico April 8th, 2011 06:39 AM

Looks like they are there right now:

Professional Media

The prices have gotten ugly though.

Alister Chapman April 8th, 2011 08:07 AM

Possibly a result of the Earthquake in Japan. Even if the factory that makes the card is OK, the demand has probably gone up considerably given the shortages of other media, which will then lead to supply chain delays. We also have to consider that many of Japans docks received extensive damage from the Tsunami so there may be hold ups there too.

Steve Kalle April 8th, 2011 09:52 AM

Once i saw the B&H prices, I looked elsewhere for prices and Tapeworks was the ONLY store to have normal prices on SxS cards.

I doubt the actual price went up. I believe these companies are trying to get more money solely due to supply probably lacking.

Jim Stamos April 8th, 2011 10:35 AM

whats normal steve on prices? the best ive seen is around 750 for the 32gb cards
what about the ex1rs/ex3s, is there a shortage/delay on them?

Robert Young April 8th, 2011 05:13 PM

I just saw mention on a pre-NAB video blog that there is a shortage of SxS cards related to the earthquake.
Prices have indeed skyrocketed as the existing stock dwindles.

Steve Kalle April 10th, 2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1636793)
whats normal steve on prices? the best ive seen is around 750 for the 32gb cards
what about the ex1rs/ex3s, is there a shortage/delay on them?

I paid $580 for the newer 32GB SxS-1A in December and now they are over $800.

The plant making them was not affected and they don't need to be shipped via a ship so I don't see the reason for supply shortages. FYI, some of Japan's shipping docks were greatly damaged so products normally transported via ships will have supply issues for a few months.

I am only aware of HDCAM-SR tapes having major shortages and will soon run out.

PS With the current SxS prices, a nanoFlash plus CF cards is looking like a good deal. For 50Mb 422 and 100Mb 422 L-GOP, cheap ($80-100) Transcend 32GB cards work great. I wonder if I should sell my 16GB SxS Pro cards and just wait a few months for the prices to come down.

Alan McInnes May 5th, 2011 03:23 PM

I heard a rumour from a local dealer that even larger capacity SxS cards are soon to come out. He thought he had heard of 256 Gb capacities. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Also, with so many external recorders hitting the market at NAB, many with SSD drives in the 256 Gb range, will these units be cost competitive with large format SxS thereby depressing the market for SxS? I ask this because for my shooting needs even one or two 64 Gb cards would be perfect, would replace the PHU-60K hard drive I currently use and would give me a more compact and secure recording package. I've hated having the PHU-60K hanging off of the camera, adding weight, being something else to bump, and the connection is very delicate. I had to have the unit replaced once due to a connection failure.