DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex1r and Canon 60D Dslr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/494288-ex1r-canon-60d-dslr.html)

Giannis Pass April 8th, 2011 03:20 AM

Ex1r and Canon 60D Dslr

Hello,
i am going to buy the 60D as B Cam to my weddings video.
How i will have the two pictures look the same?
And as i am in PAL Country, what resolution i should use for both?
Thanks in advance

Peter Ford April 8th, 2011 05:19 AM

Re: Ex1r and Canon 60D Dslr

Resolution wise, i'd set both to 1920x1080 25p

As for getting the footage to look similar - i'm no authority on calibrating cameras, but from my experience:

The EX will have far more controls in the picture profile setting than the canon, so I'd go about tweaking the profile on the ex to match the canon.

Get a decent colour chart, like a macbeth chart, and spend ages fiddling with the picture profile settings on the EX, until you come up with a recipe that gets close to the canon.

Have a hunt around on XDCAM-USER.COM - I know Alister there has written some great articles explaining what all the adjustments in the EX's picture profile settings do.

You could of course correct in post - but i think taking the time to get the cameras to match, will be worth it in the long run

hope that helps!

Jeff Wallace April 14th, 2011 11:48 PM

>>Resolution wise, i'd set both to 1920x1080 25p<<

I'm sorry, but that's pretty horrible advice for weddings. Live events are run and gun, and not every shot will be locked down on a tripod, so 25p is not a good option.

You basically won't be able to match the 60D and Ex1r footage very well. The 60D footage will be clean and saturated with nice depth of field, whereas the Ex1r will look noisy, washed-out, and "video-like" in comparison.

Your best option would be to set the 60D picture profile to be less saturated and tone down the blacks - which in effect defeats the purpose of having a DSLR, but it's the only way to match it to a video camera.

I would go with 30p on both cameras for weddings.

Marcus Durham April 15th, 2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace (Post 1639082)
>>
I would go with 30p on both cameras for weddings.

You might, but the OP is in PAL land.

Walter Brokx April 18th, 2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace (Post 1639082)
>>Resolution wise, i'd set both to 1920x1080 25p<<

You basically won't be able to match the 60D and Ex1r footage very well. The 60D footage will be clean and saturated with nice depth of field, whereas the Ex1r will look noisy, washed-out, and "video-like" in comparison.

Your best option would be to set the 60D picture profile to be less saturated and tone down the blacks - which in effect defeats the purpose of having a DSLR, but it's the only way to match it to a video camera.

Comparing default settings is not the way to go.
EX1R has black blacks when you use the proper settings. Crushing blacks, however, is something you would want to do in post: this way you are in control of the crushing.
The standard curve on the 60D seems to create 'deeper' black and higher saturation. With some tweaking the EX1R can do that as well. But then the question, whether you should use a B cam as starting point for your settings, rises.
If you are satisfied with your EX1R settings, you should tweak the 60D.
Or let them meet somewhere in between their settings.

Charles Newcomb April 18th, 2011 04:17 PM

Just ordered a 60D yesterday. I'm like a kid waiting for the FedEx guy to show up.

I don't think I'm going to try to augment my EX3 footage with it. I bought it to do different things, entirely.

So can anyone tell me... I've been looking through the manual online, and tutorials online, and I don't see how you get the film into it.

Walter Brokx May 1st, 2011 08:45 AM

lol @ charles: did you try uploading it via USB? ;-)

Charles Newcomb May 1st, 2011 12:47 PM

I have not tried uploading it via USB. Great suggestion, Walter. I'm going to try that as soon as the glue I used to put the rear of the camera back where it belongs dries.