sony PMW-EX1R/2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #31
Vortex Media

Re: sony PMW-EX1R/2

I have a simpler and cheaper option. Shoot on SxS cards like the camera was designed to use.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #32
Inner Circle

It all depends on workflows. My plan is to make the Nanoflash my primary recording device and SDHC (assuming I don't get a SxS bundled with my purchase of a EX1R) my secondary. The Nanoflash isn't for everyone. It's for those that want to go above 50Mbps for unique applications that sometimes go beyond broadcast.

I realize Doug that risk is something that just cannot be relied on for the basis of a recommendation, so I understand why you mention SDHC, but cannot endorse it. (You make this point clear in the EX1R update video) Sony probably won't support percentage based readout on anything but the MEAD adaptors. There is an official MEAD adaptor for SDHC, so that may have the ability to do percentage based readout if Sony does a firmware update to do so.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson View Post
I've been shooting on the SD cards for 6 months now, and no problems. even slo-mo works fine.
over three years and 1200 Hrs using SDHC cards and i had just one failure, and it was my fault btw, so i would say it's pretty safe; and i also shoot a lot of slow motion.
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #34
Inner Circle

There used to be a time when people questioned the use of "big" 16-gig cards.

I've also been lucky. I've been using it for the past 4 years and haven't had a single SxS card lose data yet.

I have had a couple of experiences where an SDHC card had problems but I now only use Sandisk and Lexar cards in MxM adapters with zero failure rates. And sometimes that's recording 4 to 5 hours continuously on 38-GB cards.

The rest of it is shot in the field, in a marine environment. The camera is left on all day and shoots hundreds of short clips.

My fear about losing data is from misplacing the recording media. So rather than handle a lot of SDHC cards, each SDHC card has its own MxM adapter. This is still a lot more economical than SxS cards and just as reliable.

Another plus: I no longer have to worry about having an Express 34 reader. I can just use any SDHC USB reader to transfer my files.

I have 6 32-GB cards which provide about 11 hours of recording time. Enough to last me a couple of days. It helps since some of the jobs are overnight and I'd rather not have to drag along a laptop to transfer files out in the field.
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Oh. My bad. Seems the mpg4 files recovered are unusable. Apparently, FCP has a plug-in that can allow the files to be read, but no other NLE. There are some costly outside houses that can recover the files. Oh well, time to get some smaller SDHC cards. They're cheap and fast though.
Dave Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds