DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Cracked Baseplate on EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/494802-cracked-baseplate-ex3.html)

Steve Kalle April 19th, 2011 01:54 PM

Cracked Baseplate on EX3

2 Attachment(s)
(Shots were taken with my EX1) I have been using a Zacuto shoulder rig with my EX3 and fully assembled, it weighs roughly 6-8 lbs including nanoFlash, light, v-mount battery and wireless receiver. I have tried to carry it around by holding it from underneath but my assistant has moved it a few times by the handle. I have been using it for 4.5 months and just noticed the baseplate last weekend.

Should I be worried?

Aside from Olof's baseplate, does Abel Cine or someone else sell a replacement? In my current situation, I almost have to order from Abel Cine with our account otherwise I would have ordered from Olof yesterday.

Thanks

Alastair Traill April 19th, 2011 05:54 PM

Re: Cracked Baseplate on EX3

Hi Steve,

If it was my EX3 I would be very worried. As a matter of interest does the Zacuto rig only attach at this one point or does it attach at three points?

Andrew Stone April 19th, 2011 06:15 PM

Looks like you'll want to replace the original mount and get something like this...

DM-Accessories - EX3-PLATE Reinforcement Plate for EX3 Camcorders

The above linked item is an improved version of the DM plate I got a couple of years ago.

Olof's solution is probably every bit as good.

Olof Ekbergh April 19th, 2011 08:16 PM

I would definitely get that plate replaced soon. There are 4 small studs underneath the plate that have 2mm screws in them, if they brake it is a very expensive repair.

You can get the plate from Sony, or a dealer.

I have made a number of them here in my shop as well. And I have repaired some stripped studs as well.

Once it is repaired I would definitely get a plate like the one I make or DM or Cavision. They really make the EX3 a much heavier duty camera.

Steve Kalle April 19th, 2011 09:37 PM

Has anyone used the VF Gadgets Bottom Plate Bottom Plate for PWM-EX3

Abel Cine sells the VF Gadget EX3 Baseplate & Shoulder plate so I know that I can get just the bottom plate from them but its $220. However, looking at it, I can't determine which screws it attaches to on the bottom. The website says it attaches at 3 points. Is this as good as others such as Olof's or DM's?

Which solution is the best: DM, VF or Olof's?

Olof, so you are saying that I need to replace the actual plate in addition to adding a stronger baseplate? I thought that those 4 screws and the plate were removed and replaced by longer screws in order to attach the stronger baseplate.

Btw, I have my Zacuto rig removed with just the FSB 8 tripod plate attached until I get this fixed.

Thanks

Bob Hart April 19th, 2011 10:08 PM

The problem is not just the small baseplate as a failure point.

If you were to just make a stronger replacement without adding any other support, the fail point will simply move somewhere else, maybe into a critical structure deeper inside. This may be why Sony has persisted what appears to be a fairly fragile attachment. It can fail first with minimised risk of more serious damage to the camera itself.

The centres between the tripod stud holes and the small fixing screws are very close and little force is needed to apply excessive leverage.

The aftermarket attachment designs offered are very sensible in that they seek to widen the span of the loadbearing junction between the camera and what it attaches to. The load is shared over a much larger span of structure against which it then has much less destructive leverage.

Common sense by the operator needs to have a win here. Just because you can now hoik the camera by its carry handle up off the ground with all manner of things attached does not mean you should. The handle attachment may be the next thing to break and that will be a more expensive fix.

As for your camera assistant. - To plagiarise from an old English monologue, maybe you might offer "wonderful words" of advice as you "draw him ( or her ) gently toward you wit throat".

Depending on how long you intend to continue using this camera before moving on to the next generation, I would recommend buying one of the aftermarket plates. Having one fitted might add value to the camera if you sell it onward.

Cees van Kempen April 20th, 2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1640957)

Abel Cine sells the VF Gadget EX3 Baseplate & Shoulder plate so I know that I can get just the bottom plate from them but its $220. However, looking at it, I can't determine which screws it attaches to on the bottom. The website says it attaches at 3 points. Is this as good as others such as Olof's or DM's?

Which solution is the best: DM, VF or Olof's?

Olof, so you are saying that I need to replace the actual plate in addition to adding a stronger baseplate? I thought that those 4 screws and the plate were removed and replaced by longer screws in order to attach the stronger baseplate.

Btw, I have my Zacuto rig removed with just the FSB 8 tripod plate attached until I get this fixed.

Thanks

I use the VF gadget and it is very sturdy. I even lift camera, baseplate, bateries and my whole 10kg tripod on the handle of the camera. I know I shouldn't, but I do. No problems so far. You have to remove the shoulder pad of the camera and than fix the VF with two screws to the back of the camera. The third screw is off course at the bottom plate. Good solution.

David Issko April 22nd, 2011 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1640957)
Thanks

Here is mine:
Very, very good plate. As you can see, it is the full version with back plate for, ion my case radio mic receiver.

Tim Allison April 26th, 2011 03:33 PM

David,

What lens do you have mounted on your EX3?