Wise S2 Express Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wise S2 Express Card

Has anyone ever used this memory card? It has a built in mini-USB-2 connector right on the card, so you don't even need a card reader.

Here's a web site with a picture:

Expandore - Offer Wise S2 Express Card For Sony PMW-EX1/PMW-EX1R/PMW EX3/PMW-350/PMW-EX30
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wise S2 Express Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allison View Post
Has anyone ever used this memory card? It has a built in mini-USB-2 connector right on the card, so you don't even need a card reader.

Here's a web site with a picture:

Expandore - Offer Wise S2 Express Card For Sony PMW-EX1/PMW-EX1R/PMW EX3/PMW-350/PMW-EX30
Do we know what's inside it in terms of the memory spec and manufacturer? The USB interface suggests it may only be working at USB speeds internally.

It also worries me that the website refers to "Mack" when it presumably means "Mac". A simple typo, but as a Mac owner it puts a seed of doubt in my mind.

Then there's the price. 489 dollars which is near enough 300 UK Pounds. Factor in import duty and we're then talking the same price as a SxS-1 card (currently £366).

For that money you might as well go down the Sony route.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Marcus, I too looked at the price comparison and questioned its value. I took a stroll over to B&H only to discover that Sony has discontinued its 64GB SxS-1 card. Not sure what that's about.

Then in further reflection, I was reminded of an Engadget News item a couple of weeks ago about a Singapore USB Flash Drive claiming huge storage at an economical price. It turned out the Flash drive had only a fraction of the advertised storage with some inovative firmware to loop/fake a continuous transfer of data into oblivion. So I am very skeptical about such devices coming from Asia these days. World Economics is not all that great and conseqently there are all manner of knock-off items on the market. Until I see an independent review of these cards, I for one will stay away from such off-shore items.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

AFAIK Sony have not discontinued the 64Gb SxS-1 card. It is more likely just to be on temporary hold due to shortages following the earthquake.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Alister, that makes sense. I am close to purchasing the PMW-500 and wanted the 64GB cards, I'll wait for them to become available, hopefully without too much delay.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I recently got a 64GB SxS-1 card, and there was certainly no indication that they had been discontinued -- but it took a while since it was on back order. My recommendation would be to place an order through a company you trust - that doesn't charge your credit card until it ships. But call around first - there may be places that have them in stock.
If anything, perhaps the slower SxS-G1 cards have been discontinued, since they have been replaced by the faster 1200 Mbps SxS-G1A cards. (Yes, my new card is a Sony SBS-64G1A)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Tourist

At NAB 2011, we, 16x9 Inc., became the US distributors for the WISE SxS cards. You can find more info here: 16x9 Inc. :: Products > Wise
Michael Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Looked at the link, but saw no useful information about actual transfer speed, or whether in an expresscard slot it will provide offload speeds of 800-1200 Mbps, or just usb2 data rates. Did I miss something, or is the information intentionally vague?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Tourist

The info. is not intentioally vague; we still need to work on adding more spec's. I'll make sure to follow up with more info.

In the meantime, if someone would like to run an independent test/evaluatin for the group, and post results here, let me know and I'll set it up.
Michael Ibanez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds