Rolling shutter - how to avoid? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Rolling shutter - how to avoid?

I have several times been corrected when I said that a CCD kamera was better to handle moving objects than a Cmos camera. It is all about settings I am told. Now I have the problem again and I need some help to avoid the rolling shutter isue in the future. This butterfly was recorded on my EX3 with overcrank 6o fps and a 180 degree shutter - played back at 25 fps. I can find a small clip where it can be used but I would have liked it all to be !
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rolling shutter - how to avoid?

Try Lock and load. It's both a stabilizer and rolling shutter compensation.
Lock & Load X - The Worlds Fastest Video Stabilizer for FCP!

Also see this
Image Stabilization & Rolling Shutter Reduction with After Effects CS5 | Video, DSLR Video, Adobe, Motion Graphics | RichardHarringtonBlog
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Looking at the footage I think that a lot of what your seeing is the moth moving relative to the leaf and possibly flexing it's wings a little to maintain it's balance. Certainly it's bodu is moving back and forwards relative to the leaf.

Shoot with the slowest shutter speed you can get away with. This increases the ratio between sensor exposure and read period. The read period stays more or less constant, but increasing the read period (integration period) you can help reduce the appearance of any skew or roll. In this case I would not have used a 180 degree shutter. At 60fps, 180 degrees is 1/120th. 1/60th would have been marginally better IMHO.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

The new After Effects CS5.5 has Warp Stabilizer that also can handle this problem extremely well. I tested it recently, and I'm really happy with the results.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi
I have tried to stabilize it with mercalli. I record with shutter to be able to slow down in twixtor or/and stabilize in mercalli. When mercalli is used, the rolling shutter movements will turn out as blur as 1/120 is not enough to freeze the movements. Recording without shutter - like 1/60 it will only make the blur worse.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Maybe this is one of those rare jelly moths...

I love my EX3, but I also think you're correct that CMOS isn't the best choice for every purpose.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #7
Major Player

My impression is that the subject is moving too much for the shot to be used. Any spatial distortion is secondary.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds