is there an IR filter that can be used with Sony w.a. lens on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

is there an IR filter that can be used with Sony w.a. lens on?

Hi there,
I leave my Sony wide-angle lens on all the time, not just because I want a slightly wider shot, but, frankly (despite the extra weight at the front) I find it easier to support with my left hand... there's more space for the thumb and fingers of my left hand.
Anyway, I'm wondering if there's an IR filter that can somehow fit in between my stock lens and the wide-angle, or one that can somehow attach to my wide-angle.
thanks for any advice,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: is there an IR filter that can be used with Sony w.a. lens on?

Fitting an IR filter between the stock lens and the Sony WA :- No. At least with a Tiffen T1 IR filter. There is no room. I even took the glass out of the filter mount and tried it... still no go. The rear element of WA extends too far back.
See thread:-
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ailable-7.html

Brian
Brian Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: is there an IR filter that can be used with Sony w.a. lens on?

Thanks very much for this, Brian.
I guess I'll just have to continue shooting without any filters when I've got the w.a. in place (which is most of the time). Or maybe I should try to wean myself off the wide-angle lens...
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds