Odd LTC Offset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Odd LTC Offset

Trying to make sense of an LTC issue from recent footage.

I was recording footage on a Sony EX3 w/ Sony hard drive as memory unit (not SxS card). Also recorded audio on Tascam recorder with LTC synch from the camera. Internal camera mics recorded as well, but only for room sound.

When I tried to synch via LTC with the audio files, it didn't look right. On closer inspection there is an offset between the video track and the audio track (of camera mic) that was recorded. Then when synching the external audio track in Premiere it synchs the two audio LTCs and things are not right.

Clip 1 has these data (per Premiere)

Camera Video Start LTC: 00:25:40:17
Camera Audio Start LTC: 00:25:42:03
External Audio Start LTC: 00:25:41:21

The offset between camera and external audio is expected as the recorder takes a moment to catch the LTC and switch mode. But what isn't expected is that hte Camera Video and Audio start is off, and by as much as 57 frames.

This was recorded in 1080p30 format.

Any ideas??
Jan Klier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Odd LTC Offset

I suspect it's a problem that's occurring in the edit suite software, but I have no idea what.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds