EX1 - Recording on Hard-Disk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 - Recording on Hard-Disk?

Hey everybody!

recently i read about using a "normal" ExpressCard to USB-Adapter (called BC268) to record on a USB-Hard-Disk.

So i bought the ExpressCard-Adapter, put it in the Card-Slot of my EX1, connected a USB-HardDisk.... but my EX1 only gives me an error-message. ("Unknown Media (A) Please Change")
The error message appears when i connect the HD to the USB-Port... As long as i only put the BC268 in the Expresscard-Slot, there is no error-message...

What could be the reason? My EX1 is updated to the latest firmware, so Harddisk-adapters should be supported... And i can hear the HD working, so the adapter is providing power to the HD....

Any idea why this doesn't work?

Thanks!
Thomas Nibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX1 - Recording on Hard-Disk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nibler View Post
Hey everybody!

recently i read about using a "normal" ExpressCard to USB-Adapter (called BC268) to record on a USB-Hard-Disk.

So i bought the ExpressCard-Adapter, put it in the Card-Slot of my EX1, connected a USB-HardDisk.... but my EX1 only gives me an error-message. ("Unknown Media (A) Please Change")
The error message appears when i connect the HD to the USB-Port... As long as i only put the BC268 in the Expresscard-Slot, there is no error-message...

What could be the reason? My EX1 is updated to the latest firmware, so Harddisk-adapters should be supported... And i can hear the HD working, so the adapter is providing power to the HD....

Any idea why this doesn't work?

Thanks!
You have to format the hard drive using the camera, unless the hard drive is the problem. What kind of hard drive, and is it blank?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i cant format the drive within the camera, it only tells me "please change" and i can't access the format->Slot A menu.

i used this HD:
640 GB externe 2,5" USB 2.0 Festplatte WD My Passport | eBay
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
i cant format the drive within the camera, it only tells me "please change" and i can't access the format->Slot A menu.

i used this HD:
640 GB externe 2,5" USB 2.0 Festplatte WD My Passport | eBay
Some manufacturers like to be "helpful" and preload their disks with a load of software on a partition. The drive will need to be either a single partition FAT32 drive or have no partitions at all.

Platter based hard disks seem awfully archaic when you have a solid state camera. The least it deserves is a solid state hard disk!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Thomas,

The likely culprit will be the USB Drive chipset.

When you open it up, what chipset is being used? Not all chipsets will support the EX camera, from our testing. Even fewer will do it reliably.

You can get a range of error messages from "Unknown media" error, or just plain nothing.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hide USB 2.0 to ExpressCard 34 54 Express Card Adapter BC268 - Express Card - Trait Tech - Wholesale Electronics - China Wholesale - Dropship From China

There is the BC268 in various remarks, not all functions in the EX1. I have 5 pieces BC268 from Trailtech (see link) those to function perfectly.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i use the same BC268 as Wolfgang posted in his reply! (Wolfgangs Blog was where I read about this adapter ;) )
I tried the USB 3.0 version before, but i got the "change media" error-message the moment i put in the adapter in the slot.
so i think my USB 2.0 adapter is ok because now i get the error AFTER connecting something to the USB-port.

i also tried several usb-sticks (like in Wolfangs Blog...), but every time i just got "Unknown Media"...

Quote:
Not all chipsets will support the EX camera, from our testing. Even fewer will do it reliably.
Can you tell me which HDs/Chipsets work with the EX1?
How can i figure out what chipset my HD has?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Major Player

It's probably not the adapter unless you got a bad one. I have two of them.

That exact model Western Digital number is European only, but it is the same as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Portable/product-reviews/B002OHAH78/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Read the comments regarding the cable. Did yours come with a mini USB to USB cable?

John
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
i use the same BC268 as Wolfgang posted in his reply! (Wolfgangs Blog was where I read about this adapter ;) )
I tried the USB 3.0 version before, but i got the "change media" error-message the moment i put in the adapter in the slot.
so i think my USB 2.0 adapter is ok because now i get the error AFTER connecting something to the USB-port.

i also tried several usb-sticks (like in Wolfangs Blog...), but every time i just got "Unknown Media"...

Can you tell me which HDs/Chipsets work with the EX1?
How can i figure out what chipset my HD has?

The USB3.0 version of the AKE card will not work in an EX series camera because the expresscard interface is PCIe not USB, ie PCIe ---> USB3.0. Sony specifically block any PCIe interface card accessing their cameras, so it will not work. You know it is PCIe if you need a driver to make it work on your computer.

The AKE BC268 card is a USB2.0 ---> USB2.0, and the USB2.0 interface means it thinks it is talking to a MxR card, it can't tell the difference, and that is why it works.

The downside is that is has a USB Type A plug which means you get a lot of hardware sticking out the side of the camera.

The chipsets that we tested that work fine are JM20336 SATA II 3GB/s and Initio 1608 and 1611 SATA I 1.5GB/s.There are some others but they are less reliable, and we gave up on them.

Apart from pulling your drive apart and using a magnifying glass, I can't offer you any way to tell what chipset it has in it. Maybe contact the manufacturer, they should be happy to help.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Did yours come with a mini USB to USB cable?
Yes, mine has a Mini-USB to USB Cable, but it workes fine and stable on my Mac. Why?
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

are you shure the BC268 works with the EX1, not only with the EX1R ?
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Major Player

I have an EX1 not an EX1R. I use two BC268 adapters with the camera. Bought them from Deal Extreme.

John
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I still can't get this to work!

I tried different BC268-Adapters, different Hard Discs, updated the Firmware to the Latest .26 version - but still i get the "Unknown Media - Please Change"-Error..... i have no more idea how i could get this to work.

Do the Hard-Disks have to be Formated in a specific way (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, etc?) so the EX1 will recognize it? Is there a size limit for the partions?
I cant format the disc with the EX1, the Format Media-Option is not available for the Slot I use for this.

Last edited by Thomas Nibler; June 15th, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #14

The problem I suspect is the chipset in the enclosure itself. From an earlier post above:

"The chipsets that we tested that work fine are JM20336 SATA II 3GB/s and Initio 1608 and 1611 SATA I 1.5GB/s.There are some others but they are less reliable, and we gave up on them."

Try and find one that is using either of these.

Our custom built PCB uses the JM20336 in our e-HDR product, and it has proved over the last two years to be extremely robust out in the field.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #15
Regular Crew

<I still can't get this to work!>

Soll ich dir mal meinen Adapter zum testen leihen?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds