PMW-EX3 Lens Support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Tourist

PMW-EX3 Lens Support

I'm looking for recommendations for a lens support system to use with a EX-3 and Nikon lenses. Longest lens I have is the 70-200mm zoom + 1.7 teleconverter. Appreciate some input.
Dennis Mortemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-EX3 Lens Support

I'm currently using a Genus base plate and rails with a Redrock lens support with my Nikon 80-200 2.8 and 300mm 2.8. It works well and give me the option of using a matte box, as well on the smaller lens.

If you happen to already own a Letus Extreme (as many EX owners do) you can use the front support that they supply to support your lens.

Just remember that you are multiplying your lens size by a factor of 5.4 , so with a 1000+mm lens, you want to have a really good, solid tripod
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Tourist

Appreciate the feedback. I am just now ordering the EX-3 and I want to put the "right" system together. I've got a nice variety of Nikon lenses so I'm looking for the right accessories to compliment the EX3 and Nikon lenses. What's the advantage of a Letus Extreme vs using an adaptor ring for the lenses?
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Major Player

A Letus or any other "depth of field" adaptor helps you obtain shallow depth of field, meaning that your subject is in focus and foreground and background are selectively out of focus. Part of the "film look".

It also allows you to use lenses at their normal range. For example, a 50mm will work at 50mm just as if you were using it on a Nikon. Using an adaptor, that same 50mm is magnified by a factor or 5.4 so your 50mm lens becomes a 270mm lens. Your 70-300 will become a 378mm-1,620mm lens.

Not very practical for an interview unless it is conducted on a football field from 40 yards back.

Below are some simple examples of selective depth of field using a Nikon 50mm on an EX3 with a Letus Extreme adaptor.
Attached Thumbnails
PMW-EX3 Lens Support-screen-shot-2011-05-25-2.34.37-pm.png   PMW-EX3 Lens Support-screen-shot-2011-05-25-2.35.39-pm.png  

Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Tourist

I've investigated the Letus Extreme and it sure looks like the way to go. Does it work with Nikon G series lenses and, if so, how do you control the aperture of the Nikon lens as the G's have no aperture ring?
I appreciate your feedback.
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't think it works with G lenses as they do not have controllable iris rings. Also, if you plan to get an adaptor, as you mentioned, from someone like MTF or Adaptomax, you must get one that will work with G lenses.

From my experience, prime lenses work best on depth of field adaptors, as they usually have faster apertures. 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0, as opposed to many zoom lenses that start at 3.5 and beyond. Also, you would require a 'back focus' adaptor that allows you to adjust the distance of your rear element to the ground glass in the Letus. \

Just do a search for Letus and you'll find their site. Redrock Micro, and several other companies make depth of field adaptors, as well.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds