XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony

I think Jobs did used to eat hamsters though, or was that Freddie? or V from the 80's?
Something must be keeping him alive anyway! I want it whatever it is.
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion

I have just done a clean install of Lion 10.7 v11A511 to test the functionality of:
XDCAM Clip Browser v2.6
XDCAM Transfer v2.12

XDCAM Clip Browser works as expected with no error messages.

XDCAM Transfer will need FCPX installed so that the Pro App Sony codecs are installed. This is done using the Software Update from the System Preferences control panel. XDCAM Transfer starts as usual showing the Installed Components.

When you Add a BPAV clip for viewing, it will throw up a cryptic error message that does not appear in SnowLeopard. I have no idea what the error message means. After that the XDCAM Transfer seems to function as expected -- setting preferences all works, importing works as expected.
Attached Thumbnails
XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony-fcpx-pro-app-codecs.jpg   XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony-xdcam-transfer-2.12-lion.jpg  

XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony-xdcam-transfer-2.12-lion-error-msg.jpg  
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Wait a month?? I usually wait a year, and sometimes even that is not enough to be sure that all the bugs are out and that everything - like plug-ins - is working perfectly. I updated the firmware of my iPhone 4 and I have regretted it ever since. It's battery life has been shortened by 50% since the update.

My main computer principle nowadays is: if it works, and if there's nothing really essential that I desperately need in the update: don't touch it!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #19
New Boot

[QUOTE=Barry J. Anwender;1661354]Mitchell:

1. Use XDCAM Transfer to generate .MOV EX-files
2. Use FCPX to import the .MOV EX-files
3. Use FCPX to compost, edit, color correct, sound edit and render then share or make DVD, Blu-ray discs.

Hello Barry, I'm a new 17" Mac Book Pro user that has Lion installed. I also loaded FCPX and all the Sony components including updating XDCam Transfer. I can see my SXS card files on Transfer, but I don't see the option to generate .MOV files on the program. I just see "Export Clip to File" under File. Can you help me out? Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Wait a month?? I usually wait a year, and sometimes even that is not enough to be sure that all the bugs are out and that everything - like plug-ins - is working perfectly. I updated the firmware of my iPhone 4 and I have regretted it ever since. It's battery life has been shortened by 50% since the update.
That's good advice. People seem to get into a habit of wanting the latest and greatest OS or firmware upgrade when in reality it may bring little benefit and will probably break things.

If something works and you are using it to earn money, hold off any upgrading unless you absolutely must. Wait and see what problems may arise.

I can't say Lion holds a lot of appeal for me at the moment. My current setup works fine and I only seem to be hearing bad things about it. Sure I'll upgrade at some stage but probably during the Christmas downtime so I won't hit any ongoing projects.

And if you are planning upgrading to Lion, make a clone of your boot drive first so you can revert back should you hit any problems.
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #21
Inner Circle

[quote=Tony Newman;1677717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Mitchell:

1. Use XDCAM Transfer to generate .MOV EX-files
2. Use FCPX to import the .MOV EX-files
3. Use FCPX to compost, edit, color correct, sound edit and render then share or make DVD, Blu-ray discs.

... I can see my SXS card files on Transfer, but I don't see the option to generate .MOV files on the program. I just see "Export Clip to File" under File....
On XDCAM transfer, the operation that re-wraps the SxS files as QT files is "Import". In XDCAM Transfer preferences, you set the destination directory. When you click the Import button, it does the conversion and transfer to the destination folder.

Here's a video that may help: Sony VideON | XDCAM HD Workflow Using Apple Final Cut Pro | Workflow

Here's a PDF on workflow... XDCAM Transfer is on page 25:
http://www.videocorp.cl/minisitio/hd..._Workflow_.pdf

Here's Sony's PDF on the workflow:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...lCutPro_R1.pdf
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #22
New Boot

Thanks Les! That was the help I needed! Awesome... -Tony
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Major Player

http://support.sonybiz.net/software/...=E&model=XDB-1

XDCam Browser 1.3 released, appears to support Lion, certainly works on my system. No support for FCPX though, you have to import files with the browser software outside of FCPX and import.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: XDCAM EX, SxS, Lion

Looking at the Lion upgrade in order to enable iCloud on my MBP - I also use the MBP's ExpressCard slot to ingest from SxS cards - can anyone confirm the SxS drivers / XDCAM EX ClipBrowser workflow is fine under Lion please? And also that FCP 7 is ok under Lion? (Not using FCPX yet)
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Trustee

I'm using Lion on a new 17-inch MacBook Pro. I installed the latest SxS drivers and XDCAM EX Clip Browser and they are both working perfectly. FCP7 is also working fine.
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Cheers Mitchell.
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I'm using Lion on a new 17-inch MacBook Pro. I installed the latest SxS drivers and XDCAM EX Clip Browser and they are both working perfectly. FCP7 is also working fine.
Mitchell / anypne - can you tell me what are the latest SxS drivers' version number that work on Lion? I don't see any SxS driver (other than a UDF one) newer than 2009 at Sony UK:

Sony : XDCAM & XDCAM EX Software Downloads : United Kingdom

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds