"Restore Media" questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Major Player

"Restore Media" questions

I have three SanDisk SDHC adapters, with Transcend class 6 cards. These came with the used Ex-3 I bought a few months ago.

It generally takes about 5-6 seconds for a long shot to write to the card, and if I get excited and start shooting again, I naturally get a "restore media" flag. However; I cannot get the restoration to execute while in the camera mode--I have to exit into media mode to do the restoration. Is this normal?

Secondly, yesterday while doing a timelapse with two of these adapters in the camera...the EX3 warned it was about to span between the cards. I got called away for a bit, and when I came back, the camera had failed to span, and instead wanted a restoration of the media on the "A" card. Nothing was recorded on the "B" card. Is there an issue getting two adapter cards to span?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: "Restore Media" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
I have three SanDisk SDHC adapters, with Transcend class 6 cards. These came with the used Ex-3 I bought a few months ago.

It generally takes about 5-6 seconds for a long shot to write to the card, and if I get excited and start shooting again, I naturally get a "restore media" flag. However; I cannot get the restoration to execute while in the camera mode--I have to exit into media mode to do the restoration. Is this normal?

Secondly, yesterday while doing a timelapse with two of these adapters in the camera...the EX3 warned it was about to span between the cards. I got called away for a bit, and when I came back, the camera had failed to span, and instead wanted a restoration of the media on the "A" card. Nothing was recorded on the "B" card. Is there an issue getting two adapter cards to span?
I don't think that's normal. Which firmware are you using?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Is there an issue getting two adapter cards to span?
No, Bill, there shouldn't be. It should carry on recording to the other adapter in the other slot.
I use MxM adaptors btw but one time for some reason, a few seconds into recording in the other slot the "restore media message" appeared. I just pulled out that adapter and replace it with another one, until I had more time to look into it.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Major Player

John:

1.04_0084 is what the camera says...so looks like older firmware.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:

Transcend Class 6 cards on the old firmware are known to be a complete nightmare. Something changed in their manufacturing process that meant what were great cards for some people turned into nothing but trouble. The speeds were very slow and the red light took an age to go out.

I ended up putting all my Transcend cards to other uses (stills cameras etc) because they simply did not perform and replaced them all with ATP Pro Max Class 6 cards which were much faster and are still fine 2 years on.

Today I'd recommend you use the latest generation of MxM lockable adaptors combined with a Class 10 ATP or Sandisk card. You also need the latest firmware. The latest Sandisk Extreme card I have in a new MxM lockable is certainly the fastest combination I've used to date.

But as for those Transcend cards, do yourself a favour and just get rid. You only need to search back on this very forum a couple of years to read all the tales of woe. A firmware update won't help with the fact that they are pig slow (during my overcranking tests as I recall they gave up at a pathetic 35fps).
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
John:

1.04_0084 is what the camera says...so looks like older firmware.
Definitely update it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

John:

Interesting BTW from both the Sony website, and the folks at the Sony service center (when I went to download the new firmware): according to the website, if one has software earlier than 1.05, one must contact the service center for the firmware upgrade, like the old days. According to the guy in Teaneck, it's actually 1.10 or earlier...otherwise, the do-it-yourself option won't work.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds