Night to Day Time Lapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Night to Day Time Lapse

As a general rule, I'd think a day to night time lapse is somewhat easier...set the manual iris...let it go to black as the sun sets. But what about night to day? Since you can't know exactly how intense the rising sun light will be, how do you capture the dark to light transition properly, while retaining the drama?

In a shoot yesterday, we were trying to capture the light transformation on the east-facing front of a bakery. I put in one level of ND, and guessed at an F8 setting...which ended up being a stop or two low.

At the risk of Doug's head exploding at the mention of TLCS...would this be an appropriate situation for it, or is there a better way?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Night to Day Time Lapse

TLCS is how I would do it. As it's timelapse you can afford to use the full 250th shutter and I would limit gain to +6db if you want to capture some detail in the dark part or zero if your not bothered by the night portion. Set the response time to the slowest setting.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
At the risk of Doug's head exploding at the mention of TLCS...would this be an appropriate situation for it, or is there a better way?
THAT made me laugh out loud! ;-)

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Major Player

One other suggestion - make your interval between frames long enough that you can quickly change your exposure parameters between exposed frames if you need to...
(I've done time lapses where I've actually switched into or out of an ND filter between frame exposures with minimal if any noticeable change in the picture - especially if DOF is not an issue in the shot)
Another thing to keep in mind is that at some point you may want to move into a more manual setting - particularly if you have a lot of sky - or the sun or even a bright reflection - in your shot that's fooling your auto exposure system, or conversely if there are certain kinds of fluctuations that you would like to keep - such as the case of a wider shot where the sun going in and out of partial clouds looks better when the foreground reflects the actual brightness change, rather than having the sky in the background getting lighter and darker as the cameras exposure settings chase the brightness of the foreground.
Of course this is also where the added lattitude of an F3 with s-Log would really come in handy...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds