DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Smallest Pelican case to safely ship EX-3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/498103-smallest-pelican-case-safely-ship-ex-3-a.html)

Brett OBourke July 5th, 2011 11:37 AM

Smallest Pelican case to safely ship EX-3?

I need to ship our EX-3 back and forth between the Miami and Chicago offices.

I'd like to not kill myself in shipping costs by buying a bigger box than I need. As we know, those Pelican's aren't light.

Anybody have any idea which case fits the EX-3, with just room for a couple batteries, charger and a couple SXS cards? Better yet, got pics of your set-up?

Thanks mucho,

Brett

Brett OBourke July 6th, 2011 12:43 PM

re: Smallest Pelican case to safely ship EX-3?

Not necessarily the smallest, but looks like I'm going with this with the custom cut foam:

Pelican Storm 2750 Case with Custom Sony EX3 Foam Insert :: Camera Cases :: Hard Cases & Foam Inserts :: Cases and Bags :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine

Anybody got one of these?

Like it?

B

John Peterson July 7th, 2011 07:20 AM

Why not use the original box it came in and drop that in a padded cardboard box that is slightly larger? $400 for a Pelican case to use as a shipping carton? I shipped my EX1 to Sony that way.

John

Brett OBourke July 11th, 2011 02:03 PM

A cardboard box isn't going to cut it, especially on repeated trips back and forth from Chicago to Miami -- and it needs to be a functional production case once it arrives.

However, I got a look at that 2750 case from the good folks over at Able Chicago and it's big. A great box for all around use with really nice custom foam and plenty of space for additional gear, but too big for my purposes.

Seems I'm going to need to look into a custom insert for a smaller box. Will update once I sort things out as it seems there is no obvious solution and I can't be the only one with this dilemma.

B

John Peterson July 15th, 2011 07:45 AM

Re: Smallest Pelican case to safely ship EX-3?

Brett,

Take a look at these:

Medium Duty Foam Filled Cases

There is a distributor near you in Winter Garden, Fla.

Systems Store - Your Online Source for Technical Tools and Supplies - Barix, Byte Brothers, CBT, CMD, Electriduct, Henry Engineering, Kingfisher, Krone, LEA International, MicroCare, Middle Atlantic, Neutrik, Platinum Tools, Quickspooler, RDL, Rip-Ti

John

Dave Sperling July 15th, 2011 08:34 AM

Re: Smallest Pelican case to safely ship EX-3?

You might check out the Thermodyne cases as well. Though the Pelicans are tough (and feature the lifetime warranty, I believe) I tend to use them more for local use or for airline check baggage when I'm keeping the weight under 50lbs including contents, and not paying extra for the heavy case as long as it's under the limit. If you're repeatedly shipping and paying by the pound, then any additional costs of a lighter case will be rapidly amortized over the first few shipments. Also pay attantion to the weight of the foam, since that can bring your weight up.
Also, if you're only shipping between offices (and not direct to renting customers) you might consider getting duplicates of certain accessories / batteries / cables so that each office has a set. In that way you are not only saving weight, but don't have to worry if someone on the other end forgot to pack a cable, and you could keep a set of charged batteries at each office so that you have them ready if the camera body is going straight from a shoot and is needed immediately on the other end (and hence save the shipping weight of the batteries/ charger as well.)