sony sxs 64gb cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: sony sxs 64gb cards

Les, unless I'm misunderstanding the term wrangling applied to memory cards, isn't this what I've addressed?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:45 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
...I can't relate to DSLRs because I don't and wouldn't use one.
This seemed to indicate you thought it was related to DSLRs.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
snipped. At least that's how it was presented by Shane Hurlbut ASC in B&H's series on DSLRs.
Les, as you see, it was you who first introduced DSLRs into this thread, not me.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:05 AM   #19
Inner Circle

That was the name of the tutorial where the issue of card size philosophy was presented by Shane Hurlbut that I was summarizing for you.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #20
Telecam Films

I use Sony 64GB G1A SxS cards on my F3 and these have been flowless.

My 2 cents.

T.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
In regards the lifespan of the SXS-1 cards, it doesn't concern me at all. Even if there is any truth in it, in 5 years the cards will almost certainly be far cheaper to replace than the price difference between SXS and SXS-1 is now.

Maybe I'm cynical but it strikes me as more of a marketing ploy to justify suddenly having to halve the cost of SXS media in response to Panasonic releasing cheaper P2 cards.
I understand the cynicism but the reason behind both Sony's and P2 E's cheaper price is due to the use of MLC NAND Flash which has a much lower number of write cycles than the expensive SLC flash. WIth the 32nm flash chips, MLC has about 10,000 write cycles whereas SLC has 100,000 - this explains the 1/10 life cycle. However, with the newer 25nm flash, the # of write cycles has decreased to ~8,000. This reduced write cycles is a major problem as the size of flash chips decreases. With the next size reduction (20 or 22nm), the # of write cycles will decrease again.

The only way to see significant reductions in the price of NAND chips is by size reduction. Thus, I do not expect a significant reduction in SxS prices in the next 5 years.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds