DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ex1r external audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/499304-ex1r-external-audio.html)

Jim Stamos August 6th, 2011 10:39 PM

ex1r external audio

b4 i went hd, i was shooting with a dsr300. i shoot alot of stage performances and whenever i got a feed from a board for my 300, the audio was prisine. ive shot 2 jobs with my ex1r where i needed an external feed. when i listened on the audio guys headphones the audio was very crisp, when i monitored the feed in my cam with my phones, it wasnt that great. had the xlr set on mic, putting it on line , i heard nothing,. it was alsways on mic on my dsr 300 as well.
i havent adjusted any of the audio settings, on the r,A: limiter, mic agc, agc link, theyre on the default settings. im guessing that the mic agc should be on low instead of high and this is why the audio was just ok, instead of the crisp signal im used to hearing. also, i havent messed any with the trim settings.
i never had to do anything on the 300. always had the agc on as well.
input appreciated.
have another identical shoot this weekend.
thanks

Philip Howells August 7th, 2011 12:48 AM

Re: ex1r external audio

Jim, the EX1R is much more of a pro beast - check out the qualified comments regarding the focussing systems for example - basically be a pro and focus manually.

If you're taking a feed from a desk it's very unlikely not to be line level. Ask the DJ to feed you a pilot tone to set up against and hope that he uses his desk properly.

Olof Ekbergh August 7th, 2011 08:19 AM

Jim,

I never use AGC. I just set the levels so an average signal is about -20DB, make sure peak never goes past -5 or so.

I have used both mic and line, depending on the level output by the board, though line is more common.

There are software trims you can set levels with in the menus as well. They are mostly for matching mics.

I often use inline pads on mics with high output levels instead of internal trim.

I find that monitoring on headphones and watching the VU meters is always the best way to assure good audio. I have never had a problem with the EX3 or EX1R audio.

Jim Stamos August 7th, 2011 10:31 AM

i only focus manually as i did with my dsr.

Olof Ekbergh August 7th, 2011 11:20 AM

I am old school, Jim.

I never use auto gain (audio or sensor gain), auto iris or autofocus. All I can say is if you set the levels as I outlined above then you will get great audio, and monitoring keeping an eye on the VU meters in case someone changes something on the board. It happens.

I am not saying it is wrong to use auto features, it is I just don't do it myself. So I can't help trouble shoot your problems with auto gain on the EXcam.

Jim Stamos August 7th, 2011 11:36 AM

ok,
i usually dont do auto ,but since i hadnt had the cam that long, i didnt adjust it until i got some input.
where am i setting the -20db,
so the limiter you keep off and on the mic agc do you have on high or low?

Olof Ekbergh August 7th, 2011 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the Info mode you have a scale:

Keith Dobie August 14th, 2011 02:06 AM

Jim - how did it go on the 2nd shoot? Get the levels sorted out?

Jim Stamos August 15th, 2011 10:39 AM

much better ,thanks,
am using direct box always now.