Upgrading EX3 firmware from V1.04??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrading EX3 firmware from V1.04???

Could have sworn the Sony site said you could upgrade on your own as long as you have V1.04 or higher when I checked the site a couple weeks ago.

I had to wait for a new firewire to arrive and now I see on the Sony site you're supposed to have V1.05 or higher.

Anybody know what gives? Anybody go from V1.04 to V1.16 on their own?

thanks,

Brett
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Upgrading EX3 firmware from V1.04???

Aaaand it would seem I can't even download V1.15

The download link from the Sony site simply opens a PDF that says to call Sony ... and makes vague mention of V1.26.
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just talked to somebody within the labyrinth of Sony "service" who was clearly annoyed that I was disturbing his afternoon nap. Seems V1.04 needs to be sent to the service center - though he couldn't tell me why - to the tune of $300.

B

Last edited by Brett OBourke; August 12th, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Brett:

Same experience (except for the nap rage, my guy was quite courteous). He was of the opinion that pretty much anything older than 1.10 needs to go into Sony for factory upgrade of firmware to the latest version.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Major Player

What issues does the firmware upgrade resolve and does it add any "must have" features?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Big one from my standpoint is that it allows the use of the newer/cheaper/faster 1A cards (the five year duration SxS cards) and the more robust ATP Promax/adapter combos. Or so I hear...
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

The big one for me was that the upgrade allows the camera to use the larger 32GB and 64GB SxS-G1a cards. I've found the larger cards not only convenient, but this capability a 'must' to avoid confusion when doing multi-camera shoots where production is bringing/renting the larger cards.
I believe at some point along the firmware upgrade path some additional preset shutter speeds were also added to the menu system as well, which I found useful when travelling in 50Hz countries and shooting at 24p.
I know one of the EX1 firmware updates (I think it was 1.11) added support for 24Psf signal output, though not sure whether this feature was always available on the EX3. Likewise more presets for audio trim level adjustment.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bill and thanks Dave for your comments.

I have just heard back from the local service centre that also advises certain remotes can now be used and there are improvements in error correction, TC improvement and as mentioned the new SxS cards can be used without any problems. Apparently there are other changes that are not disclosed even to service providers.

If of interest my EX3 needs two updates to get it up to date and the quote is less than half that quoted for Brett. Furthermore if I make an appointment it can be done in about two hours.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Have you checked the archives here? There is a lot of information about people upgrading their camera from early firmware.

I believe I began upgrading my camera from version 1.03. Anyway check the archives it should all be there in detail from more than a few people.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Tourist

Re: Upgrading EX3 firmware in Australia

Seems to be a grey area about upgrading this camera's firmware. I bought mine three years ago and the firmware is 1.02. (Pressed Menu/Select/Cancel to get the maintenance option in the menu)
I go to Sony Australia site and download the upgrade software and instructions. There is no mention of what version I should or should not upgrade from.
Yet the US site - which appears to be broken (no software and a un-downloadable damaged pdf) -been like that for days. Doesn't say much for their aptitude) - says one must have version 1.05 to start from. Possibly because of an NTSC model, I don't know.
So, Sony Australia allow me to download and show me how to install. IF, and I say IF the upgrade lobotomises my camera and there was no warning about version levels, am I in a position for recompense from Sony?
All that aside, has anyone actually downloaded and upgraded to 1.1 (not 1.5 as noted on the US site)?

Last edited by Phil Seymour; September 7th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Phil Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #11
New Boot

I just received my EX3 back from Sony (LAservice) for some repair work and the firmware was upgraded to V1.17 as of 9/9/2011. I don't know what revision the firmware was prior to the upgrade however.
Billy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Major Player

Re: Upgrading EX3 firmware in Australia

[QUOTE=Phil Seymour;1680377]So, Sony Australia allow me to download and show me how to install. IF, and I say IF the upgrade lobotomises my camera and there was no warning about version levels, am I in a position for recompense from Sony?
QUOTE]

I very much doubt it. Of course you could call your attorney and have him look into it, but that would probably cost about 5x as much as just having Sony perform the firmware upgrade.
(BTW - I don't remember what you have to consent to as part of the software download and install process, but I have a feeling that if you read all the legalese, they're covered in it.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #13
Major Player

What's the most recent incarnation firmware update for the EX3?
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've just booked my EX3 with the Sony service centre for the upgrade from V1.04 and I was told that it could be 2-3 hours and would cost $120 Cdn. I recently bought two 64 Gb SxS G1A cards and I am so looking forward to being able to use them. I have been using two 8 Gb cards and the 64 Gb PHU-60K hard-drive and there have been times I've run out of capacity. I work at a school shooting events where I occasionally record all day. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm hoping to have a hard-drive to sell.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds