XDCAM EX Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM EX Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer

Exporting EX3 video off of my SXS cards, I can use either XDCAM EX Clip Browser, which came with the Camera or the free Sony download XDCAM Transfer...which I was familiar with from my time shooting with the XDCAM 350.

The upside for some of my clients is they can easily see the .mov files quickly with XDCAM Transfer.

The BPAV files seem to confuse others.

So far, 99% of my clients are editing on Final Cut Pro but it got me thinking.

Am I being stupid? Am I giving them a lesser product/image quality using XDCAM Transfer instead of XDCAM EX Clip Browser?

Lately, I've been taking the time to copy both to a hard drive before handing it off to a client...just to cover my rear end.

Is one program exporting a better image to use with editing or do they each give an identical quality image?

Does one offer a file type which is easier to use with a wider variety of editing programs?

I have the Vortex Media DVD series, which are gold, but it only addresses XDCAM EX Clip Browser, which came with the camera.

Can someone please educate me on which is better and why...or why not?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: XDCAM EX Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer

John,

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but since you sent me a message directly, I'll answer BRIEFLY here. I say briefly because these are not easy issues that can be answered with a quick sentence or two. That is probably why no one else has responded to your questions. A complete answer would require too much time.

Here's some thoughts that may (or may not) help:

The new "Clip Browser" utility is Sony's attempt to combine the functionality of "XDCAM EX Clip Browser" and "XDCAM Transfer" into one program. In my opinion, it is a big mess. You can read my comments about it here: Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

I don't recommend it. But if you choose to use it, there is no difference in quality vs. the older utilities. My arguments against the software have nothing to do with quality of the files.

XDCAM EX Clip Browser is for archiving your BPAV folders. If you don't archive them, you lose all of your metadata and possibly compatiblity with existing and future NLE software. I always make two backups of every BPAV.

XDCAM Transfer is only for re-wrapping the video files to MOV so FCP can see them. There is no transcoding or quality lost in this process. If you don't care about safe guarding your original BPAV folders, then just go right straight to XDCAM Transfer. However, those MOV files might be useless for anyone who does not use FCP 7.

Most of this is covered in my DVD. You might want to take another look that chapter. The key thing is that the new Sony software changes nothing. I still use and teach the exact same workflow I've been using for 4 years next week.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Doug,
Thanks for your generous explanation. I live by the advice you offer on the DVD's. My issues are because of the handful of "lesser experienced" clients I deal with were asking questions I just wasn't sure how to answer.

Your time and patience with me is deeply appreciated and now allows me to answer those questions with confidence.

Thank you.

John

Last edited by John DuMontelle; August 29th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
John DuMontelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Doug. If XDCAM EX Clip Browser is EOL, is Sony planning to replace it with something just as useful, or is "XDCAM Browser 1.x" supposed to take its' place? Where does the Cinemon program fit into this matrix?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Sony USA already knows that XDCAM Browser missed the mark, and I have been working with them to push the programmers in Japan to fix the shortcomings and get a program that we can actually stand behind. I'm hoping that there will be an XDCAM Browser 2.0 that solves the issues before the older XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer will no longer work on my Macs. It is a race to see which happens first, and I'm betting that eventually everything will work out. If it wasn't for the earthquake, which may have pulled attention elsewhere, I wonder if we would have a new version already?

To be honest, I don't really care if XDCAM Browser stinks as long as I can still use the other two programs. As long as a new Apple OS does not break them, I'm happy. I'm 100% satisfied with the older workflow, and I never saw the need to wrap all the functionality into one program that does nothing very well. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Cinemon works okay, but I choose not to use it because it does not allow me to archive my finished FCP projects properly with Media Manager. If you don't use Media Manager, then Cinemon is worth giving a try.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds