DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   .mp4 and HUDL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/500095-mp4-hudl.html)

Victor Matos August 28th, 2011 03:17 PM

.mp4 and HUDL

Hi guys, anyone out there familiar with HUDL? I was asked by a High school coach to video tape a game for him. I own a EX1R. Taped the game and then he wanted to upload the footage to HUDL. This is a service to which coaches can import video & notes and pass them to all their players. Great for film work during practice. The problem is HUDL is a windows based service and for what I can tell only takes AVI, mp4, WMV files. Does not take MOV. I know this has been kicked around but first is there a way just to use the mp4 out of the BPAV without having to do anything to them? and How? Second , if I create a timelime in FCP7 (now MOV) is there a way to export back to mp4? Of course he needs the files back very quickly so exporting for long periods of time is also a issue.

Thanks

Victor

Craig Seeman August 28th, 2011 04:52 PM

Re: .mp4 and HUDL

Easy, affordable, powerful coaching software - Hudl
The .mp4 from the EX is MPEG2 EX codec so I doubt the site could do anything with it.
.mp4 is a wrapper, not a codec.

Their site seems clear as mud as far was workflow is concerned
Getting Video Into Hudl - Support & Help - Hudl
Load Video from File or Hard Drive (HDD) Camera - Tutorials - Hudl

They imply that as long as YOU can play the file (and you can if you have FCP with XDCAM EX codec) it will capture your file.

The problem with information designed for non technical people is that it doesn't provide answers for technical issues.

You can create an H.264 .mp4 in Quicktime Pro or Compressor 4 (not Compressor 3).
You can encode to WMV if you have Flip4Mac Studio series.

I don't know if any of this helps because the site seems to imply

Victor Matos August 28th, 2011 08:57 PM

Thanks Craig, any thoughts help my friend! I looked at their website and also wasn't sure of what to do. I think problem increases since I don't own a PC, all Mac's at the house and they at the school all use PC laptops. So of course clips I can play, they can't. I made a .WMV (Flip4Mac) of my time line with all the game clips but it took forever to create, around 51/2 to 6 hrs. I shot the game on friday, was done around 10:30 pm. He wanted the footage for the next morning (saturday) practice at 8:00 am. The turnaround is tight even more for a "volunteer " type job. :) I will try the Quicktime H.264 .mp4 route. You know if this file play on Windows Media Player?

Thanks again
Victor

Duncan Craig August 29th, 2011 12:20 PM

Hiya you can/should use Handbrake on the Mac (or PC) to very quickly create x264 files (h264 compliant) . These are cross compatible, very efficient etc.

x264 is a very very fast encoder.

Victor Matos August 29th, 2011 02:15 PM

Thanks Duncan. The resulting files I get are .m4v even though I set it to mp4. Is that the file extension you are talking about? Any difference?

thanks again

Duncan Craig August 29th, 2011 04:03 PM

Yep m4v is correct.

It's a good setup in fact compatible with lots of things. Including PS3, iOS, YouTube, Windows Media Player etc.

There are other encoders that also use x264 like MPEGStreamClip. You can even setup compressor to encode using x264, I just prefer the Handbrake interface.

Duncan.