DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3problem, why my ex3 is too noisy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/500260-ex3problem-why-my-ex3-too-noisy.html)

Kakhaber Mshvidobadze September 2nd, 2011 10:44 AM

EX3problem, why my ex3 is too noisy?

i have a problem. why my ex3 is too noisy? gain 0 db, gamma- cine3, matrix gama-cine. why it is too noisy| thank you :)

John DuMontelle September 3rd, 2011 06:21 AM

Re: EX3problem, why my ex3 is too noisy?

I'm a keep it simple guy.

That includes moments when you need to figure out a problem.

From the sound of your brief note...it makes me think you've been adjusting the settings and now are stuck with something you don't like and can't figure out how to correct.

Reset the camera to factory settings.

If the noise is still there then it's a camera issue and it needs repair.

If the noise is gone then you know whatever you did with the settings was your issue.

Carefully begin to adjust the settings to a more pleasing look. Taking notes about changes can help you know what you did and go back to what was "good" without getting stuck and constantly starting over.

Colin Rowe September 3rd, 2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakhaber Mshvidobadze (Post 1679370)
i have a problem. why my ex3 is too noisy? gain 0 db, gamma- cine3, matrix gama-cine. why it is too noisy| thank you :)

Any chance of posting a short clip somewhere ?

Dave Gosley September 4th, 2011 05:02 AM

I know it's not right on the issue of gain and noise - but for a while I was running around with the roller shutter switch below the lens barrel turned on without realising it and I played around with gain for ages before I realised the switch had been moved inadvertently.

The resultant footage was grainy - and yes I messed with the gain settings, light settings all sorts - then I found a note here on dvinfo about the roller shutter switch, turned it off - reset the camera to factory and started again - with crisp clean footage...

I know I'll look a plumb for admitting it.... ;-)

Andrew Stone September 4th, 2011 05:33 PM

If you haven't found the BBC's picture profile settings for the EX cams yet you can find it below...

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Doing a full camera reset first is a VERY good idea in my view. More than a few here have messed up their cameras using some of the posted picture profiles here.

Alister Chapman September 5th, 2011 12:25 AM

What are you comparing it to, what makes you say it is too noisy?

The EX3 is noisier than most high end SD cameras, but quieter than most handy cam style HD camcorders.

Mark McNamara September 13th, 2011 12:27 PM

Shot this with Vortex media's setttings of Matrix on high sat, Gamma Cine4, Black -3, Black gamma -2. Db-3. Seems noisy to me? Anything I can do? Thanks.

Mark McNamara September 13th, 2011 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok trying this again. Got the upload file thing figured out.
Shot this with Vortex media's setttings of Matrix on high sat, Gamma Cine4, Black -3, Black gamma -2. Db-3. Seems noisy to me? Anything I can do? Thanks.

Alister Chapman September 16th, 2011 09:20 AM

Most of the noise appears to be chroma noise or compression artefacts, it's hard to tell. The HiSat matrix will introduce extra noise. Was this graded at all? t looks like the blacks have been stretched.

Bo Skelmose September 16th, 2011 04:25 PM

I have tried to record out of the EX3 onto a convergent design XDR - and what I thougt was noise, went away. Seems as if my problem was compression artifacts and not noise as I thought.

Mark McNamara September 16th, 2011 07:53 PM

Thanks for the input. It wasn't graded at all but obviously compressed quite a bit for the upload. Anything I can do about chroma noise or artifacts, if that's it?

Larry Huntington October 17th, 2011 11:37 PM

Turn down the volume on the headphones. Problem solved : )

Paul Cronin October 26th, 2011 08:24 AM

That is vibration from the machine. I have seen this a lot with my EX1 and PMW-350 when I used them in the machine. You need to isolate the camera better.