XDCAM EX1 Or HXR-NX5U NXCAM ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM EX1 Or HXR-NX5U NXCAM ??

I'm looking an Sony Pro Video Camcorder.

I'm setting up a HD video production studio system for my Church.

I have been working with Audio & Video for 25 Years but not a pro yet.

So far I have been looking at Sony:

XDCAM EX1

HXR-NX5U

I would like to hear from you on the differences between the two please and the best one for HD video production stuido.

Thank you for all your help !

Scott
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XDCAM EX1 Or HXR-NX5U NXCAM ??

What are you going to use it for? Live event IMAG or production videos?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Right now it would be production videos

Scott
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Both are suitable production video cameras. The NX5U is a significantly lower price point yet it has an SDI out which is a nice feature for studio environments for driving director's monitors and other things such as recorders.

Since you mention the EX1, I presume you are buying used which carries it's own tradeoffs. But camera to camera, the advantage of the EX1 is it's better light performance and image quality. The CODECs are different too so a decision to go with the %X5U is a decision to go with AVCHD and all the issues that go with it.

There are some features in the EX1R that aren't in the EX1 that you want to make sure you are comfortable with not having. A quick search here will give you those.
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not looking at anything used:

I will be waiting untill B&H Has the XDCAM EX1R in stock again before I make my mind up.

I'm trying to figure out now what the NX5U has and what the XDCAM EX1R Has so I can compare the two and make my decision up.

What about the AVCHD issues ???

Many thanks for you help Sir.

Scott
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Vortex Media

I don't have time to compare the cameras head-to-head for you, but just take my word for it that the EX1R is in a whole different league than the NX5. There is nothing except the price that is better about the NX5. I'm not saying it's not a good camera, because it is, but it's like comparing a Jaguar to a Chevy. If you can afford the EX1R, I highly recommend that you go that route.

You don't say what you edit it on, but if it is Final Cut Pro 7, then there is even more reason to go with the EX1R. AVCHD is a terrible format for use with Final Cut Pro -- while the XDCAM workflow that the EX1R uses is fast, easy, and very elegant. Again, they are in totally different leagues. In fact, you'll make up the difference in price between the two cameras just in the time you'll be saving working with XDCAM vs. AVCHD.

Take it from me, there's a good chance you'll be sorry if you go for the NX5 instead of the EX1R -- unless you simply cannot afford the better camera. But if you go with the EX1R, you will not regret it for one minute.
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Sir for your reply !

I can afford the EX1R and I'm leaning to buying it - But B&H is out of stock as of today on this unit.

I edit with Adobe software.

What codex does the EX1R use if not AVCHD.?

Thanks Scott
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Vortex Media

The EX1R, EX3, and F3 all record on XDCAM EX, which, as I said, offers many advantages over AVCHD during shooting and in post -- at least for Final Cut Pro. I don't edit with Adobe, so I can't say if there are any significant advantages with that software.

I'll give you a quick list of SOME of the advantages of the EX1R over the NX5, but just keep in mind that this is not all of the advantages. And some of the things won't even sound important to you now, but they might be a big deal to you later.

XDCAM codec
1/2" sensors
Custom clip naming
Last Clip Delete
Superior paint menu options
Custom Picture Profile naming
Ability to export, import, and archive Picture Profiles
Camera Data Files
Shot Transitions
12v power
Clip duration counter
Picture Cache
High-quality slow motion recording
Timelapse
Frame recording
Freeze mix
Utility software that runs on Mac (no Mac software for NX5)
PAL & NTSC
More SD options
Dual card slots
Better build quality
Better on-camera clip playback
Tons of metadata recorded with every clip on a frame-by-frame basis

Like I said, the EX1R is in a whole different league.
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Trustee

EX files with Adobe are as smooth as silk and with a nVidia cuda card they glide through your workflow.

Having sung the praise for EX files, I am having a lot of bother with H264 encoded files from an HDSLR camera - jerky video, and long final render times. Not sure if AVCHD files will be any better.
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Since you have the budget, the EX1R is worth waiting for IMHO. Rent or borrow something in the mean time if you have to.
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I can wait - B&H Say's it 6-10 weeks out.

There must be a big back order on them.

Scott
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

You're making the right choice if quality and durability are you goals.

There's a reason that camera is back-ordered. It's in demand.

I've shot on the HXR-NX5U for a small Miami production house. It's frustrating. Puts out a nice image but you have little or no quick and easy control over the image.

You're going to be much happier with the EX.
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Comeau View Post
IThere must be a big back order on them.
Scott
I think Sony has been caught off guard by the continued popularity of the EX1R.
I was at their offices for a meeting last month and they told me that, despite all the new models from Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc., sales are actually on the rise for the EX1R and EX3. That does not surprise me too much, because they are really are great cameras for the price.

Scott, if you can afford one more step up in price, you should take a look at the EX3 before you make your final decision. You'll get a vastly superior viewfinder, the ability to change lenses, and (in my opinion) a much better design for handheld shooting. I tell people all the time that the EX3 is the best bang for the buck of any camera in history. If you can swing the extra cost, I highly recommend it. It might cost more upfront, but you'll get some of that extra money back when you go to sell it someday. All things being equal, a used EX3 is going to have more value than a used EX1R. If I could only own one camcorder, it would be an EX3.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks for your great infomation. Luckily I have support when coming to the payment of the camcorder.

I have looked I belive a Cannon unit that was shaped like the EX3 my self I don't like the shape.

Now that said, I'm shure your right about the EX3 being a better camcorder.

I have also been looking also at the PMW-350K but not shure what can do over the EX1 or EX3 for the extra price, but it seems to be real nice - I guess it should at 20K

Thanks Scott
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Some good solid info here and I'd agree with it all - if you can afford it then the EX is a better camera. As so it should be at the price.

But praise where it's due for the NX5. It has a zoom that starts out wider and goes longer, and for people like me who came up from the Z1 it meant I could keep my chargers, batteries, LANC controller and so on. And another plus - the single element aspheric (0.52x) turns my NX5's lens into the equivalent of a 16mm widie - and it won't work on the EC lenses at all.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds