EX1 mixed with XF300 music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 mixed with XF300 music video

I will be involved with shooting a music video with my EX1 as Bcam and the DP will be using his XF300 canon. Has anyone mixed footage from these two cameras before? I would just like to see if there is any special prep or profile that would help match the footage. We will be shooting mostly with tungsten, not too much in the way of moving lights, colours, or strobes etc. We will be shooting 1080P24, no overcrank. First thought that comes to mind is use the IR cut on the EX1.
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX1 mixed with XF300 music video

They match pretty well out of the box. Since your under the same lights I don't think you will have any issues. Most of my cutting has been interviews from various places and even then, it was just a couple of clicks to color match.
On my 300 I've grown fond of the cine v profile which flattens the color a bit to make grading easier. I don't know the ex but I'd imagine there's a similar preset.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Robert. We just toured the location tonight. It's in an old retired military aircraft hanger. It's going to look amazing! I am going to blast the doors from outside with a couple of HMI's from up high and different angles which will back light the band and with a little bit of fog in the air and the warmer tungstens and some for fill it should be spectacular. The doors have old speckled glass in them so the light will dance really well.

Regarding the match for the cameras, I will look at using the same setting that you recommended and then do a couple of tests with different settings on the ex1 to get them close and use the IR cut filter on the EX1.
Thanks
Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Trustee

I shoot with an EX3 and use the Canon XF 305 as a B camera. The Canon colours are a lot more vivid, but the two do match up well. Be sure to have a InfraRed filter on your Sony otherwise synthetic black clothing will not match.
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Vincent, I will make sure I am using one. I am just waiting for a date so I can book the gear. I am going to get together with the other camera owner and shoot some footage so we can pre-set them up to match. The video is due to be released Jan. 1.
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds