Matching EX1R with 7D and 5DMKII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching EX1R with 7D and 5DMKII

I'll be doing a shoot this weekend and will be using the EX1R along with the 7D and 5DMKII.

I would like to know if anyone had any advice as to how to match the pictures of these cameras as closely as possible. I don't normally use the 7D or 5DMKII.

Also, when rendering to FCP should I go ahead and render them all into ProRes 422?

Thanks in advance all!
William Graydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Matching EX1R with 7D and 5DMKII

this may get you close ... I used this recently and with a little exposure re-adjustment in post came close enough to satisfy the client ... you will need to test this yourself:

matrix=on
high sat,
level+35,
phase-5
RG+75
RB+0
GR-18
GB-32
BR-27
BG+13
color correction=off
Detail: level-8
frequency+30
Crispening+20
H/V+0
KneeAPT level-89
skin tone=off
Gamma: cine 1
Black -3
Black Gamma-35
Low Key SAT -10
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello William.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit. I don't know what the shoot you are doing is for or whether it is for commercial purposes, but after reading this thread I looked something up in the 7D manual (just wanted to check whether the sRGB and Adobe RGB setting in the camera menu had any bearing on video shooting) and stumbled across this little gem....

"This product is licensed under AT & T patents for the MPEG-4 standard and may be used for encoding MPEG-4 compliant video and/or decoding MPEG-4 compliant video that was encoded only (1) for a personal and non-commercial purpose or (2) by a video provider licenced under the AT & T patents to provide MPEG-4 compliant video. No license is granted or implied for any other use for MPEG-4 standard."

I, for one, was not aware of this limitation and luckily have not used the 7D for any video yet (commercial or otherwise.). I had intended to, though. I wonder how many wedding videographers are aware of this, or even care? I wonder how many of us videographers have taken out a license with AT & T to use MPEG-4 footage commercially?

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #4
New Boot

Pretty much every camera out there that records MPEG will have that notice, however it's not really dictated by the camera. Basically, everybody who distributes anything MPEG-encoded commercially, (including DVD) should get a license.

It however is a totally ridiculous and impossible to enforce restriction. They probably do make enough money from the couple of big distributors out there to leave all the little and not so little ones alone though.

From the EX1R manual:

Quote:
MPEG-2 Video Patent
Portfolio License

ANY USE OF THIS PRODUCT OTHER THAN
CONSUMER PERSONAL USE IN ANY
MANNER THAT COMPLIES WITH THE
MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING
VIDEO INFORMATION FOR PACKAGED
MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED
WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER
APPLICABLE PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2
PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS
AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C., 250
STEELE STREET, SUITE 300, DENVER,
COLORADO 80206.
“PACKAGED MEDIA” means any storage
media storing MPEG-2 video information such as
DVD movie which are sold/distributed to general
consumers. Disc replicators or sellers of the
PACKAGED MEDIA need to obtain licenses for
their own business from MPEG LA. Please
contact MPEG LA for any further information.
Of course, everybody uses his EX1R only personally ;)

However, AFAIK this only includes distribution, so you could use your camera to shoot MPEG video without paying a license provided you don't distribute it to the customer in MPEG. But as most good common distribution formats are MPEG,...
Andre Bernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

William,
This is not an uncommon question here on DVInfo. Some searching will find several threads on it.

I use the Adobe color space on the 5DM2 and the 5Dm2 profile named "Faithful" to match my EX1R.
On the EX1r, I use the Vortex or True Color profile with Cine 3 gamma.
Both cameras shoot 1080p24.
I found these settings matched well as shown in this post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1680962

As far as workflow, I use an XDCAM timeline and convert the 5DM2 to Prores. But that's because my 5DM2 footage is just an occasional glamour shot or cutaway. The more you use it, the more it makes sense to convert them all to Prores.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you all for the help! I'm going to look through the different posts and experiment with what you guys have suggested.
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
William,
This is not an uncommon question here on DVInfo. Some searching will find several threads on it.

I use the Adobe color space on the 5DM2 and the 5Dm2 profile named "Faithful" to match my EX1R.
On the EX1r, I use the Vortex or True Color profile with Cine 3 gamma.
Both cameras shoot 1080p24.
I found these settings matched well as shown in this post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1680962

As far as workflow, I use an XDCAM timeline and convert the 5DM2 to Prores. But that's because my 5DM2 footage is just an occasional glamour shot or cutaway. The more you use it, the more it makes sense to convert them all to Prores.
Les, I looked at the post you linked. I didn't see the settings on there. Would you mind send them to me? I appreciate it. Thanks!
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...r-weekend.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1481499

I used TC2
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds