DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1r and EX3 No Longer Include a SxS Card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/501471-ex1r-ex3-no-longer-include-sxs-card.html)

Steve Kalle October 10th, 2011 03:38 PM

EX1r and EX3 No Longer Include a SxS Card

I just noticed on both B&H and AbelCine that these cameras do NOT include a SxS card anymore AND the prices have not changed for the cameras.

Is this due to the economy or is the 16GB card not made anymore (I can't find it on either website)?

At least Sony could have reduced the price of the cameras or included their adapters.

Chris Medico October 10th, 2011 03:43 PM

Re: EX1r and EX3 No Longer Include a SxS Card

That is what you might call a "soft" price increase.

You pay the same but get less. The only difference between Sony and Bryers is they couldn't reduce the camera to 48 ounces instead of a full half gallon like they did with the ice cream.

Steve Kalle October 10th, 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1687686)
That is what you might call a "soft" price increase.

You pay the same but get less. The only difference between Sony and Bryers is they couldn't reduce the camera to 48 ounces instead of a full half gallon like they did with the ice cream.

Speaking of this and inflation, look at orange juice and just about most boxes of juice which have been reduced from 64oz to 58 or so.

Chris Medico October 10th, 2011 03:59 PM

Its the new NORM for price increases.

I boycott EVERY product and manufacturer I catch doing it. I've not bought my favorite ice cream now for 3 years.

I would rather they be honest and not do that covert crap.

/soapbox dismount.

Steve Kalle October 10th, 2011 04:09 PM

I wouldn't call it 'covert'. They must do it OR they must raise prices. Many companies have raised prices to an acceptable maximum; thus, their only other option is to reduce the amount of product. Core inflation and the CPI (Consumer Price Index) have not been talked about much due to the poor job economy. Many core products such as eggs, oranges and beef have seen large price increases. However, I can't explain why Sony has dropped the included 16GB SxS card, but I would bet that they need less expenses due to losing billions over the last couple years.

Bill Rankin October 10th, 2011 08:18 PM

There is a used, low hours, EX1R for sale in the DVINFO classified section.

Jack Zhang October 10th, 2011 10:37 PM

I'm guessing demand is still pretty high for the EX1R and EX3. They were back-ordered for quite some time. This keeps the price high... Only if the demand drops will we see a price decrease. (I would only expect that if the replacement is announced at NAB)

Alister Chapman October 11th, 2011 12:55 AM

It might have been due to the Tsunami. SxS card production was affected, although I believe is back on track again now. However it can take a little while for shortages to work through the system.

But as said it may just a way to keep prices constant despite the recent large increases in manufacturing costs brought about in part by increased wages in China, the cost of energy and fuel.

Steve Game October 11th, 2011 09:45 AM

This was discussed in April when the EX1R/2 appeared. See here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-ex1r-2-a.html

Steve

Jose Carlos October 26th, 2011 07:12 PM

It appears that Sony is once again including a 16gb SxS card with the EX cams.

Sony PMW-EX1R

Sony is pleased to announce a significant enhancement to the popular PMW-EX1R and PMW-EX3 camcorders. To reflect this enhancement, effective immediately, the product cartons will be labeled as PMW-EX1R/3 and PMW-EX3/5. Both the PMW-EX1R and PMW-EX3 will be packaged with a 16GB SBP-16 SxS Memory Card.

Rebates are also available.

Dave Stewart November 28th, 2011 10:38 PM

Mine did! Hehe. Wasn't supposed to. Invoice said no card, but there it was - 16 GB. Must have grabbed the wrong box. My lucky day.

Jack Zhang November 29th, 2011 06:00 PM

I hope there is adequate stock of the /3 soon, I'm about to plunker down for the EX1R and Nanoflash combo and a 16GB card would mean I wouldn't have to solely rely on SDHC adapters.