led lights for ex1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Major Player

led lights for ex1r

im using an dimmable light from studio one productions. is ok, seems the yellow filter is more goldish.
anyone use the led lights that have a mix of daylight/tungsten in them where you can switch from 5600 to 3200? do they give a better wb for 3200?
what brands are people using.
thanks
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: led lights for ex1r

using a comer 1800, it goes from 3200k to 4500k
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the Comer CM-LBPS1800 and the Sony HVL-LBP, which are very similar. I'm even quite sure they are made by the same company, and I suspect Sony is the private label brand in this case. The Sony is a lot more expensive than the Comer but offers less. To convert the LED from daylight to tungsten, you need to put a flimsy loose filter into place with the Sony. It gets lost all the time. The Comer has a flip-down plastic one, so much handier and always available. The light of the Comer is more intense, too. Moreover, it comes with two D-tap cables (one long, one short), while the Sony will only work with click-on batteries from different brands. Both lights can be dimmed.

So if you're into these bigger lights (and heavier), both these brand have about the same size and weight, but the Comer offers much more for less money.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a Dedo LEDZilla has both a flip down diffuser and CTO to bring it to 3200K. It's a Fresnel so you can adjust the wash and the barn doors actually do something.

I would have bought a Sola3 ENG if I had the space in my bag. It's also a Fresnel and it uses stiff plastic gel inserts to adjust the color temperature.

With both, there's options for supplying power including D-Tap.

Some searching here will find a plethora of information and reviews of these lights.

Also, be aware that some LEDs have a green hue that has to be handled with a gel.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Trustee

I use the Zylight Z90. It's dimmable by turning a dial, uses no filters or gels. You can also adjust color temperature with another dial, and the red/green hue independently of the color temperature.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Major Player

the comer 1800 really adds weight with the sony batt. i would think that the comer 900 would work well being that the ex is good in lowlight with the 3 1/2in chips, plus its alot lighter,
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

We are Comer authorized dealer. We have Comer 1800 and 900 lights. Comer 900 has a model that takes Sony BPU30 battery. The same one comes with your camera.

Comer CM-LEX900 LED Light (Sony EX1/EX3 Battery) | L.A. Color Online)

If you want more output, 1800 is the one to go. If you worry about the weight, we have BP-U65 and BP-U95 battery for EX1/EX3 that can power the Comer lights through the D-tab connector at the same time. You can consider that option too

Sony Compatible BP-U65 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Online
Sony Compatible BP-U95 Battery for Sony EX1/EX3 | L.A. Color Online
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Major Player

its the weight of the light im talking about , im sure the 900 weighs less than the 1800 yes?
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I just weighted it. Comer 1800 is 15.8oz. Comer 900 is 9.4oz.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Major Player

is the output of the 900 even for the ex1r not enough, soundsl like its not.
the 1800 i cant use my ex1r batterie?
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You can use Comer 1800 with our BP-U65 and BP-U95, not the original Sony U30. It's because our batteries has a D-tap connector which can power both the light and the camera at the same time.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Trustee

I have a LEDzilla and 2 SolaENG 3's. The build quality difference is night and day with the Sola being very cheaply made. I ordered 2 Sola's to replace 2 Arri 300w fresnels in addition to an AC to D-tap power adapter from Frezzolini as well as a couple Swit 88whr batteries (v-mount). The first Sola arrived with a bad fan that was loud so AbelCine had another shipped in. Now, after 10 months of use, one Sola is perfect while the other has a bad fan that goes from noticeable to quiet on its own. Also, the ring that holds the barn doors onto the light has snapped.

That's the bad news but I still love them. I rarely use the Dedo because it has far less output. I mainly use the Sola's on light stands for interviews indoors and also nighttime shoots. I put the Sola's onto my Arri stands, attach it to the Swit batteries and use a zip tie to secure it to the stand. Just a couple weeks ago, I was using both Sola's outside at night and the fellow production crew fell in love with them because they were so easy to setup, move around and control the light output.

I tested the Sola next to an Arri 300w and the Sola appeared to output ~80% of the Arri while only using 30w. The LEDzilla, on the other hand, uses only 7-8w and is only good for low light fill. For light quality, the Sola has a slight purple-blue tint while the Dedo is slightly blue, which is normal for 5600k LED lights.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds