Ex1r? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex1r?

At the moment I'm using a Z1 and Z5, both with the MRCK1 card recorders.

What would be the advantages, if any, of getting an EX1R??

Any advice is appreciated.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Ex1r?

Hi Peter,

I would start by asking this - How is your current gear not meeting your needs and expectations?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As a person who's used HDV extensively for the past 3 or so years, here's what I can say off the top about the EX1R as a person who's just about to purchase one:

You have full raster 1920x1080 recording options inside the camera. This means there is no need to worry about pixel aspect ratio issues during the editing process. You can also use a higher bitrate than HDV, 35mbps, with the XDCAM EX system.

The 1/2'' sensors will provide better light sensitivity than both the Z1 and Z5. I've had experience with a NX5 (the Z5 but with AVCHD) and the amount of noise in low light is pretty prominent. Remember, GIGO. (Garbage in, garbage out)

The EX1R's sensors are also 1920x1080 effective pixels for each of the 3 CMOS sensors. The Z5 uses "ClearVid" pixels at 1.07Mpixels (1920x1080 is 2.2Mpixels) and the Z1 only uses 960x1080 per sensor.

HDMI and HD-SDI outputs will give you a large variety of options for better external recorders that can record 4:2:2 and etc. Since the EX1R is already such a great head end, you can expect very high quality with a external recorder of your choosing. I chose the nanoFlash, but if you work with FCP a lot, any of the ProRes recorders would work for you too.

The bottom line: You will not regret an EX1R purchase stepping up from HDV.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Chris, I've been a little disappointed with the low light capabilities of the Z5 and Jack has addressed this in his reply. In good light, both the Z1 and Z5 are good cameras but the 1/2" chips will obviously be better.

I don't really need 3 cameras (I've also got a HV30), so, as I don't intend doing anymore weddings and just basically film as a hobby, I thought the EX1R might be the way to go for a bit more creativity.

I suppose I've got to factor in also the cost of cards, batteries, etc......am I talking myself out of buying one? Help me !!!

Peter
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Don't forget that the Z1 and Z5 both have less effective pixels than the EX1R.

Get a SD card adapter for SxS and your memory costs will decrease. Class 10 SDHC cards are much cheaper than even the SxS-1 cards.

The internal 35mbps codec is pretty robust. I would only get an external recorder if you're serious about quality.

Since I noticed you live in the UK, submitting to the BBC for broadcast is another story. It is mandatory that you use a external recorder with your EX1R if you want to be compliant with their quality standards. This will no doubt increase your costs.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D. Parker View Post
What would be the advantages, if any, of getting an EX1R??
better, cleaner picture, even properly lit you'll see the difference naked eye, low light and gain up - big difference.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Right, that's it then, decision made!!

I hope my grand daughter understands that Father Christmas had an accident and won't be coming this year. I'll refer her back here if she doesn't believe me !!

Peter
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Its a great camera and you will love using it.

Get ready for a more manual operating experience. The autofocus is not the same as the HDV cameras. It doesn't track objects that move around the screen. It only focuses on what is in the center. That certainly doesn't make it bad but it can be frustrating if you aren't used to how it works.

You will get the best out of the EX1 when you operate more manually. Especially with the picture profile settings. You can do amazing things with that. Out of the box the image is a bit plain but it doesn't have to stay that way.

Lots of fun learning to come.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Having moved from HDV to EX1R myself, I'll confirm what others have said about the EX1R and add some others. There are reasons why this camera is so loved by professionals and amateurs alike. Once you mastered the feature set like you would any camera, the EX1R will reward you with crisp beautiful images acquired with little technical fussing around so that you can concentrate on the creative task and related things. The smaller the crew, the more you'll appreciate it's ability to bring back good looking and sounding recordings time and time again. In my own experience, the camera has enabled me to hands down create better productions. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Peter, have you seen/used an EX1?

If not I'm fairly sure I'm coming to Preston early next year for a corporate factory shoot EX1, lighting guy (hopefully) and camera on a jib etc. Nice big 22 inch HD monitor on set. And filming a commercial in central Manchester on the 2nd

You would be welcome to come along.

Personally I'd look at the FS100 as well. If you don't shoot run and gun, or events, you can get really creative with the S35 chip and super low light on the FS100. You already have two nice video cameras. An EX1 is the same but with a sharper picture. Maybe what you need is something in another direction...

Duncan.

Last edited by Duncan Craig; December 22nd, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Also worth saying, lots of people do manage run and gun fine on an FS100, just not as well as a Z1 or EX.

Also, Also.... there's 1080p50, SD cards (cheap) a great LCD, lightweight, an odd but interesting 100fps mode, same batteries as your Z1, and there's firmware out soon to make it NTSC switchable. Oh. And it's pretty cheap.

I really want one, but I'd still keep the EX1 as it suits a lot of my work.

Duncan

Last edited by Duncan Craig; December 22nd, 2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: More more more...
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:29 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the offer Duncan.

I've had a very quick look at a friend's EX1 and he's given me some footage.

The reason I'd like to stay with the EX1 and not go for the FS100 is that (I hope) the footage from the EX1R I can edit in my RT.X2 system in real time. I think with the FS100 I'd have to upgrade my computer system, which is of course more money and less presents for grand child!!

I'd love to come and see you "in action" and if I can offer any help.....I have a Glidecam X10.

Thanks for the info.

Peter
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:24 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Don't forget that the FS100 is absolutely 100% manual. You can't ramp zoom speeds as there literally is no servo for the zoom function for that camera. ENG stuff relies on stuff like this.

I also agree with the compression, AVCHD's compression is something I'm not a fan of. I have a machine fast enough to edit it, but I still prefer MPEG-2 over AVCHD.

BTW, I just got mine, very happy with the sensors. The noise at 12db is very acceptable to me compared to what I've seen on the NX5 or even the Panasonic HPX300.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

I left behind a Premiere Pro Z1/RT.X2 combo when I bought an EX1. The RT.X2 cannot handle the full HD of which the EX1 is capable. However I can edit full HD natively within Premiere CS5 on my reasonably quick i7 processor without using the RT.X2. You could buy a second hand EX1 in good nick - there are plenty around - together with an Atomos Samurai for less than the price if an EX1R and be broadcast ready.

Cheers
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike,

If I part ex my Z1 and Z5, a new EX1R will cost me £1500.

A second hand EX1 is about £3000 + £1500 for new computer + £280 for CS5.5 upgrade, so it's all adding up.

I also prefer the real time effects in Matrox, (not that I use all of them but the ones I do don't need setting up as you would have to do in CS5.5.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds