SxS card problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS card problem

I have an SxS card in my EX1 which in Camera Mode shows as Media Near Full but in Media Mode there is nothing there and it states No Clip. I'm fairly sure it was OK previously. As a new user of the EX1 I'm hoping there is a simple explanation...
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: SxS card problem

Hmmn, never had that one on my EX3. If you mount the card on a MBP (or laptop PC) does it show a BPAV folder? If so, what size is it in GB? Also, what sized card is it?

If there is nothing on the card you want (!?!)...then try Formatting it in the camera (rather than just All Clips Delete). Does that cure the issue, i.e. allow you to record to the card and see the clips in Media mode?

One other thing, if you've been peeking around in the sub-folders of the BPAV on the card on your computer and you accidentally (or otherwise) deleted or moved just one then that could easily screw things up pretty fast!
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't seen this issue either.

I would go into the camera's "Others" menu and select "Clip" and then "Update". Choose the card you are having problems with and hit execute. This should not damage any files on the card but might restore your card. I know you have to do this if you write files on the card from your computer and want them to show up in your camera.

If you don't care about the what is on the card then I just do as Andy said and format the card.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That is a pretty common issue that I've had when people clean the card from a MAC computer. What happens is the files get moved into a folder called .trashes but the space isn't freed up.

To prevent the issue I always set the write protect tab before handing the card off and instructing the person to not wipe the card.

Formatting the card in the camera will take care of the problem.
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I've always found that deleting all the files on a card by using the Sony software is a safe procedure on my Mac.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I've always found that deleting all the files on a card by using the Sony software is a safe procedure on my Mac.
Macs love spewing hidden files over any disk attached to them. The moment you plug the disk into a PC you can see the results! Extra files and folders everywhere.

The answer is to only ever format your cards in the camera and only put the card into a Mac once you are sure you don't need to record any more footage on it.
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

To recap:
My problem SXS card which reads Media Full in Camera Mode shows as blank ( No Clip) in Media Mode and on the PC in Clip Browser.

Can't remember what's on it - if indeed it is full - so can't be too important (I hope!)

I'll give Kenin's Update a go first and if that doesn't work I'll reformat.
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Update did not work so I have formatted the card in camera and it is now empty and recording normally.
Thanks again.
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Just wanted to say that re-formatting memory cards in the camera (whatever system you are using) prior to recording is an essential step. Using a Mac or PC to delete files from cards is not a good idea.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Major Player

While I'd agree that deleting the files while the card is in the computer is a bad idea, I wouldn't agree that formatting the card in the camera is a necessary step either. If you format the card, you lose all your stored camera profiles as well. I find it far more useful (and safer) to delete all files inside the camera. I rarely ever do a full format of the card unless something has gone painfully wrong.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Vortex Media

Same here. I have cards that have not been reformatted in over two years.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Major Player

Please note that with an EX1R, you can have a full card, while nothing shows while camera is on 'mediaplayer'. This happens when the camera is set to HD and the clips are SD or vice versa.

Checking on a computer is a wise thing to do before formatting.
It's even wiser to backup your cards after every shoot. This prevents you from deleting files in the heat of the moment.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Good point Walter. Those SD avi files just don't show up anywhere.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Taplin View Post
Just wanted to say that re-formatting memory cards in the camera (whatever system you are using) prior to recording is an essential step. Using a Mac or PC to delete files from cards is not a good idea.
OK 'essential' is an overstatement :-) but it won't hurt either and the card will be nice and 'clean' ready to record. I'm finding with this tapeless malarky that a degree of paranoia and being extra careful about how you handle data is no bad thing.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Anyone know if deleting files or formatting a card has any different effect on the life of a card?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds