Mixing xdcam ex and .mxf footage in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing xdcam ex and .mxf footage in FCP

Hi
Really hoping someone may be able to help me. I was shooting yesterday on a Sony pdw350 camera and we had a wide shot on a Canon xf305 which is .mxf.
I have been asked to edit the footage together. Should I convert all the footage to Prores ? I'm using fcp6.06
Also I have been trying everything to get the xdcam ex footage to log and transfer but it just won't show up in log and transfer in FCP. So I was thinking to convert the BPAV folder to Prores in mpeg stream clip and then convert the xf footage in log and transfer in FCP.
Really hope someone is able to help me out here
Many thanks
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Mixing xdcam ex and .mxf footage in FCP

I sure wouldn't convert to ProRes if I was in your shoes. All you'll get is file sizes that are 4 times bigger than the originals. Both the PDW-350 and the XF305 are shooting XDCAM, so stay in XDCAM for the edit.

Oh yeah, I just noticed that you are editing with FCP6? So the real problem is that you are using such an outdated version of FCP that you may not be able to easily import or edit the footage. I'm curious to know why you never upgraded to FCP 7 when it has been out or several years? Pardon the expression, but that seems crazy to still be editing on such an outdated piece of software.

If you had FCP 7 I could tell you how to do it in about one paragraph, but with FCP 6 I don't know what to suggest other than to upgrade to FCP 7 if you can find a copy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds