DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Does your BC-U1 make capacitor noise? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/505331-does-your-bc-u1-make-capacitor-noise.html)

Jack Zhang February 17th, 2012 01:48 PM

Does your BC-U1 make capacitor noise?

I found it a little troubling, but I finally noticed that my BC-U1 makes capacitor noise whenever it's in use. I thought it was a fault, but apparently all BC-U1s (supposedly in the world) have capacitor noise coming from the charger.

Does your BC-U1 make capacitor noise? If not, look at the box for your BC-U1 and tell me the revision code after the model number.

Zoran Vincic February 17th, 2012 02:05 PM

Re: Does your BC-U1 make capacitor noise?

I've dealt with five or six different chargers and they all make "the noise" as well as my laptop bricks etc.

Sometimes I envy people who cannot hear those frequencies.

Marcus Durham February 17th, 2012 05:22 PM

Mine does. Seems to go in time with whatever the green light is doing.

Duncan Craig February 18th, 2012 03:30 PM

Second what Marcus says.
It's synced with the LED and quite a whiny wide ranging noise.
How anyone cannot hear it is beyond me.

Perhaps I'm still quite young....
Ha, I still have perfect vision, but a perorated eardrum that farts and bubbles so loud that others can hear it!

Chris Clifton February 21st, 2012 07:32 AM

I have 4 chargers that are absolutely silent.

Dave Sperling February 21st, 2012 10:09 AM

Maybe it's my ears but...
I seem to hear more noise when plugged into 220v than when plugged into 110v

Marcus Durham February 22nd, 2012 02:39 AM

Assuming the noise we hear is in somehow related to the mains frequency, yes there would be a difference between a 50Hz and 60Hz supply.

I'm not suggesting for one second that what we are hearing is at 50Hz, but it is perfectly possible the whine we hear is somehow related to the mains frequency. In the days of CRT TV's some people from 60Hz countries often complained that 50Hz sets made a high pitched noise.

Alister Chapman February 22nd, 2012 01:19 PM

The whine is a high pitched whistle that comes from the inductors vibrating within the switch mode power converter. It operates at a frequency much higher than the mains frequency, somewhere around 15-20khz. It pulses on and off as the battery is charged in short bursts. All of mine make the same noise, have done since I got my first one over 4 years ago with my original EX1.

Luc De Wandel February 22nd, 2012 02:59 PM

I envy all these people who can hear sounds in the 15 to 20,000 hertz region. My hearing stops at roughly 12,000 after 20 years of concert photography. Not to mention the constant hissing and peeping in my left ear. Should have photographed birds and bees.

Zoran Vincic February 23rd, 2012 08:20 PM

Or should have used earplugs? :)

I have a pair of Etymotic ER20's on my key chain, in my camera bag, in my car, in my guitar case...

Les Wilson February 23rd, 2012 08:44 PM

The Dolgin Engineering charger is silent. It's a nice piece of gear and quite rugged. It does not however power the camera:
Battery charger TC200-EX 2 position [TC200-EX] - $289.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions

Luc De Wandel February 24th, 2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic (Post 1716870)
Or should have used earplugs? :)

I have a pair of Etymotic ER20's on my key chain, in my camera bag, in my car, in my guitar case...

Quite right, Zoran. I use earplugs now, but too late. But it's not all down to video: I've also played in a band for over 10 years and we only knew one setting for the volume knob... Silly, but true.

Gints Klimanis February 28th, 2012 04:57 PM

Many LCDs emit a whine in the 15000 Hz range. My EX1 charger whines as does my Maha AA/AAA battery charger.

Kevin Spahr March 1st, 2012 12:48 PM

While you're looking at your BC-U1...

The percentage of charge indicator in the lower right of my charger does not light up when charging to show how far along the process is. Anybody else have this quit working? Any fixes?

Les Wilson March 1st, 2012 06:05 PM

It's never worked for me.