new mic for my ex - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: new mic for my ex

Just to leave breadcrumbs for anyone who reads this thread.... I cam upon this demonstration by Guy Cochran of several mics. I found it informative and it shows the difference between the NTG-1 I have and the AT 875r I wished that I had but am now glad I don't. Not that the AT875 is in the least bit bad. It's just that I now understand the difference and how the AT875r isn't a good fit for me. YMMV

And then there's this article by Ken Stone that is a producer's evaluation of a bunch of shotguns:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...html#Test%20#3
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
Major Player

Good information in both links. As you said, not one mic will fit everyone's needs. In the case of the AT-875R, it is very much less directional than the RODE, but this is neither a plus nor a minus. It is different. For a go to mic to handle many different situations I keep sticking the 875 on my EX3 or room micing with it. It works well for many situations. If you can control the position of the mic more reliably with respect to the source then there are better options. For run and gun, the 875 is hard to beat and it is cheap and light.

The other thing I wanted to stress is how useful it was to replace the standard mic mount with something more robust and more versatile.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #18
Inner Circle

@Les Nagy... that's a good description ... I need something more focussed than the 875 .... Now that I am sticking with the NTG-1, I decided to reengineer my EX1R mic holder using an old Lightwave mount I had from my XL1s days. I need speed of assembly/disassembly of the shockmount/mic onto the camera. Which technique did you go with?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...u-using-6.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #19
Major Player

I am using this setup:
DM-Accessories — EX-FLAT - Shoe Mounts for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders
and
Audio-Technica AT875 Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone Kit B&H

When I purchased the kit from B&H it originally came with a Rode shock mount.

Setup speed doesn't have to be too bad if you have room to keep the mic in the shock mount when in you kit bag.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacFarlane
The J-Rod twin mount is the one that I put on my EX1R, it's been fine for me.

There are a pair of plastic registration pins beneath the plastic Sony mic mount, and the J-Rod aluminum mount has a slot machined in it to accomadate and align with the pins; I used a file to widen the mount's slot slightly, as there was interference with the pins (and I did not want to shave off the plastic pins).

Makes me think the J-Rod twin mount was designed for the EX1, and not updated to match changes in the EX1R (though I have not seen what's beneath an EX1 mic mount so I do not know for certain if there was a change by Sony).
The J-Rod twin mount is designed for the EX1 and EX3. For the EX1R you must file off the plastic pins.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds