Raw Files into Premier CS 5 - how? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Raw Files into Premier CS 5 - how?

I should be seeing him tomorrow and will try the Media Browser import of raw XDcam files - see what happens...otherwise I do have the files all re wrapped as mov's which he says will work.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

You will get this problem with the trial versions of Premiere as the Mpeg codecs only get installed on the full licensed versions after activation. Editing of XDCAM EX re-wrapped into .mov's will work only if Premiere is activated and even then it's clunky and buggy compared to working with the native mp4 files.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
You will get this problem with the trial versions of Premiere as the Mpeg codecs only get installed on the full licensed versions after activation. Editing of XDCAM EX re-wrapped into .mov's will work only if Premiere is activated and even then it's clunky and buggy compared to working with the native mp4 files.
Converting to ProRes 422 would be a good idea in that case.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for everyone's replies...I think he has a trial of an Academic version of CS 5...
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies...I think he has a trial of an Academic version of CS 5...
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a 'Trial' of an academic version AND there is no such thing as an Academic "version". The only 'trial' you can get is by downloading the Master Collection suite. Also, Adobe changed its policy starting with CS5.5 which provides a fully functioning Premiere Pro (in terms of codecs) so MPEG2 does work in trial mode.

The "Academic" version is not a *version* - it is a *License* that costs less to purchase. The only thing different between paying for a normal license and an Academic license is the extra 'goodies' like stock images which are not included with the Academic package. Also, some people believe that you cannot use the Academic license for business related purposes but this is also not true. Adobe mentions this issue somewhere in their FAQ. I first learned of this back when I bought CS2 several years ago because I wanted to learn the software and then use it for small jobs.

Sorry, but I forgot about one other difference between the full & academic license - you can sell and transfer ownership of the normal license, but you cannot do so with the Academic license. I have sold prior Adobe suites and it is a very simple and straightforward process.

From Adobe's website Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 * File formats supported for import, "Important: The trial version of Premiere Pro CS5 doesn't include some features that depend on third-party software components that are only included in the full version of Premiere Pro. The import and export of some formats are not supported in the trial version, such as AVC-Intra, AVCHD, HDV, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, MPEG-2 Blu-ray, and XDCAM. ***The trial version for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later does not have the limitations that Premiere Pro CS5 has. It includes all sequence presets, editing modes, encoders, and decoders that are included in the full, activated version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later. However, after downloading the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 and later, you do not receive the title templates or non-English speech-to-text dictionaries (speech analysis modes). These items are available for download after you have purchased the software. For a detailed list of limitations of the trial version of Premiere Pro software, see the Adobe website."
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds