DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Firm ware update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/506349-firm-ware-update.html)

Kent Nguyen March 24th, 2012 09:49 AM

Firm ware update

Sony said that their current firmware update for EX1 could be done by owner only if the existing firmware version is 1.10. They recently don't have that notes in their firmware download site anymore. Does any one know the reason. I have an old firmware version (1.02) and is not sure if I can just download the new version and install it by myself. Please advise.

Best.

Tuy Le March 26th, 2012 04:05 AM

Re: Firm ware update

It will allow you to update to 1.26, but the camera won't boot up. So don't do it yourself :-(
It happened to my friend camera last week. I believed you can update from version 1.10 and later to 1.26 (latest to date).

Rob Perry March 26th, 2012 08:09 AM

I've been looking into doing the upgrade myself and just realized yesterday that my current firmware is 1.0... haha. With that being said, is there no way I can do this myself? I know going straight to the latest version is a big no-no, but what about if I managed to get earlier versions somehow and then upgrade in multiple steps, is that a possibility? If not, does anyone know how much it would cost to get it upgraded professionally?

Kent Nguyen March 26th, 2012 09:17 AM

Thanks guys,

I think Perry has said all about what I need to know. How could we get the version 1.1...before getting to the latest version? either by Sony or DIY.

Cheers

John DuMontelle March 26th, 2012 11:34 AM

Down here in Miami there is a well known broadcast equipment store which will do the firmware upgrades for a small fee. The downside is they don't always have the very latest version. But...it's a whole lot better to drop your camera off for a day and then get it back and ready for work quickly. So much nicer than paying to ship your camera to a Sony office and being without your camera for a longer period of time.

A couple of other Miami freelancers with EX 3's tipped me off about the service and had their camera's firmware quickly upgraded. It's left me thinking...I don't have the very lates version. Just 1.16, but one of the local places here could get me up to 1.21. I'm just not sure what I really gain by always having the latest version of the firmware.

My EX 3 already allows me to use 64 gig SXS cards. I'm sure there's some little technical advancements with the very latest firmware. However, I'm one of those guys who also believes "if it's not broken, don't fix it!" ;)

My point here being...you might want to check around with local broadcast equipment dealers in your own city to see if they too can offer you a firmware upgrade with fewer hassles, rather than shipping your camera off for several days.

Kent Nguyen March 26th, 2012 01:52 PM

Thanks John

You are right, all I need is to have some new firmware updated to get my camera to use with other types of media instead of just the expensive SxS card. I live in Atlanta and I have ask the biggest camera dealer here and they said that they had to send it to Sony. :( which will take 3 to 4 weeks to get it back. How ridiculous!

John DuMontelle March 26th, 2012 02:40 PM

You can always take a long weekend drive to Miami and stop by Midtown Video.
Heck...make it into a little Spring Break event!
Call ahead and they can probably get it done the same day if you get in before noon! ;)

James Clarke March 26th, 2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuy Le (Post 1723097)
It will allow you to update to 1.26, but the camera won't boot up. So don't do it yourself :-(
It happened to my friend camera last week. I believed you can update from version 1.10 and later to 1.26 (latest to date).

im having the same problem with my ex1 after i updated the firmware , did your friend manage to get his fixed ?

Les Nagy March 27th, 2012 11:50 PM

Perhaps this is of some help:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-upgrades.html

Tuy Le March 29th, 2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Clarke (Post 1723238)
im having the same problem with my ex1 after i updated the firmware , did your friend manage to get his fixed ?

Yes !
He told me that he got lucky in this case.
The camera did not boot up (on), but computer can see the device with VersionUptool (the firmware update program). So they have a special software to fix it and not that bad. But if the camera was totally dead, It would cost him much more.

Phil Beaton March 29th, 2012 10:39 AM

My EX1 firmware version is currently V1.05_0405 (as it was when purchased), and I want to get it up to at least 1.11 so I can use third party memory cards.

I managed to grab the VersionUpTool_PMW-EX1_1.20(Mac).zip off the Sony site a while ago (it seems to have been removed now), but my searches for pmw-ex1 1.11 firmware.zip just pull up a load of dodgy torrent sites.

Is there any way I can upgrade to 1.11 myself? Where can I get the firmware?

Tuy Le March 29th, 2012 10:06 PM

I think any firmware prior to version 1.10 will need to be updated by Sony or you will pay much more to fix the dead camera.

Jack Zhang March 29th, 2012 10:49 PM

The primary reason may be because some new firmware requires a new SxS board in the camera that is compatible with USB Expresscards. If you do have 1.11 or later, your board may (and this is my guess) already be USB Expresscard ready. Any lower, and it's only compatible with PCI-E Expresscards (AKA SxS or nothing)

Tuy Le March 30th, 2012 12:54 PM

Jack,
It's not the hardware. Just different program to update the firmware from 1.0x to 1.10 which we don't have access to - only Sony :-( However, You maybe right for some older cameras.

Les Nagy March 30th, 2012 03:17 PM

I am beginning to wonder if my posts are visible except only to me!

I have posted the procedure to get the firmware from Sony, but people seem to be ignoring it. I can tell you that once I got access to the FTP site I now have all the publicly available versions of the firmware for all of the EX series saved away for my use. I also still have FTP access as they have not changed the user access for months.

Please look up a bit for my post, call Sony and get your firmware.