New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Re: New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100

Based on you folks tests, does PMW100's sensor rating close to F10 @ 2000 Lux ?

It will be interesting to see how this stacks up with JVC's GY-HM650.

Last edited by Sara Jourhmane; June 22nd, 2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Edit
Sara Jourhmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #107
Trustee

Just wondering about extra batteries for the PMW-100, would a SWIT S-8U62 fit?

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #108
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Just wondering about extra batteries for the PMW-100, would a SWIT S-8U62 fit?.
See post #89: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1737951

The 8U62 would fit but according to Alister, wouldn't power the camcorder. Those batteries work for the other EX1/3 cameras because those cameras allow external power and the 8U62 has a tether for that. The battery compartment latch simply holds the battery in place. It's unclear if Sony changed things in the PMW-100. I'm interested in the definitive answer as well but I kinda doubt it.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #109
Trustee

Thanks Les, I missed that post.

Thank you.
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #110
Regular Crew

I'm still trying to decide which camera to purchase. Would like to see some reviews of the PMW-100, but cannot find any. If anyone has a link to a newer review, please post. Also, I noticed B&H has a $500 rebate on the PMW-100, lowering overall price to around $3500. Is it unusual to see a rebate this soon after release? Does this mean anything, like potential issues with the camera?
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #111
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
It's unclear if Sony changed things in the PMW-100. I'm interested in the definitive answer as well but I kinda doubt it.
The PMW-100 uses the same power connector as the EX1/EX3, but that connector is buried inside the recessed area where the battery attaches. So there is no way to have an AC adapter connected to the camera while there is also a battery onboard.

And that creates a problem for most 3rd party EX1/3 batteries because thuse a short little dongle cable to feed power to the camera via the AC adapter connector and not through direct pin connections like the genuine Sony batteries. So, if you attach a 3rd party battery to the camera, you can't connect the dongle because the battery is then blocking the camera's connector.

I hope that makes sense.
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Hi Rick,
I look forward to seeing some reviews on the PMW-100 as well.
All we can do for now is check out the nice footage posted by Doug Jensen (within this forum), and to view another clip I noticed on youtube.
Here's the link:
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #113
Trustee

That link and Doug's clips look good to me.

Thanks.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #114
Trustee

Magnifique!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM   #115
Inner Circle

Having spent more time with the PMW-100, I would say that the image quality is very slightly inferior to Sony's really rather amazing NX30. To me it looks like there is a lot of noise reduction going on and this gives the images a slightly smoothed almost glazed over look (you can see it in the video linked above). The lack of noise in the images is surprising given the small sensor size and as a result sensitivity is reasonable, but this is not a camera for me, I think Sony have overdone the noise reduction. Maybe if you are entirely committed to XDCAM HD422 there will be a place for it.

Not only does placing the external power connector inside the battery cavity prevent you from using the current crop of 3rd party batteries but it also stops you from hot swapping a battery by powering the camera externally while you change the battery. I have been told by DynaCore that they believe they will be able to produce a battery that will work with this new design and may end up being a more elegant solution than a flying cable.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #116
Trustee

I'm still shocked that Sony gave the NX30- PJ760 - CX760 the EXMOR-R sensor and only mounts a smaller and older sensor in a far more expensive camera with their premium codec.

It's the biggest electronic oxymoron that I have ever seen.

Bizarre.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #117
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I'm still shocked that Sony gave the NX30- PJ760 - CX760 the EXMOR-R sensor and only mounts a smaller and older sensor in a far more expensive camera with their premium codec.

It's the biggest electronic oxymoron that I have ever seen.

Bizarre.
Those familiar with product development wouldn't find it bizarre. There are always tradeoffs. Some possibilities that come to mind:
1) To get the cost down, below a particular number, a lower cost part is used and justified for any number of reasons like people will buy it whether it has an Exmor-R because it has a lens ring, SxS, 4:2;2 etc
2) The consumer divisions making the other 1/3" single chip products paid more for the chip development so they wield their internal political power and get priority on the fixed supply of chips
3) There is no technical superiority and the engineers win the argument because any Exmor-R superiority is a work of fiction by the marketing people who invented the term and consumers who were convinced it makes a difference.
4) The actress who will demo the NX30 has it in her contract that she will only moonwalk if there's an Exmor-R chip in it so she can act snobby around the stereotyped male camera guy with a camera that has a bigger lens, more knobs, 3 lens rings, SxS and no doubt bigger chips and more of them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:19 PM   #118
Major Player

This may not be the first time Sony have done something bizarre. Just looking at about a dozen or so videos from the Sony's new 1" sensor pocketable still camera DSC-RX100 on YouTube and you'll be amazed. I have no ideas if the units used to film those videos were prototype or true production units but the IQ definitely looks very nice with no noticeable artifacts such as mushiness in fine detailed subjects or the glazed-over looks as Alister Chapman said about the PMW-100's footage. More surprisingly, the color profile as seen from all the YouTube clips looks different from the color from all Sony AVCHD camcorders and still cameras I have used. The skin tones are particularly impressive. IMHO the color looks more pleasing and closer to the color in the Sony FS700's footage I've also seen from the web.

If that's what Sony can do with a US$650 still camera and a hybrid sensor, why can't they do better with their US$3,500 video camera and a video-optimized sensor? So far I've seen only two videos from the PMW-100, one is the above Vimeo video and the other is Doug Jensen's. The compressions may have played a part in my preference for the RX100's IQ over the PMW-100's. The final judgement has to wait until we see the actual footage from production units in about a month's time.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
2) The consumer divisions making the other 1/3" single chip products paid more for the chip development so they wield their internal political power and get priority on the fixed supply of chips
Sony's Atsugi and Shinagawa factories are now working together as a single unit as opposed to being distinct broadcast and pro video operations.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #120
Major Player

I understand the trade offs in getting to this camera's price point while offering 50mps / 422 color space and think some of the criticism has been pretty picky,

However if in fact the camera has no built in ND filters that is inexcusable. I am probably going to replace my Venerable Sony V1U's next year and felt like this might be the camera until I saw that.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds