DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ex1r timelapse. How to?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/506919-ex1r-timelapse-how.html)

Giannis Pass April 14th, 2012 02:58 AM

ex1r timelapse. How to??

Hello to all.
I need your help.
Is there some basic rules for timelapse?
I want to try it for first time and i dont even know how to start.
What is the basic first steps?
Thanks

Les Wilson April 14th, 2012 04:48 AM

Re: ex1r timelapse. How to??

Page 71 of the manual is a good place to start. Sony calls it "Interval Recording".

Bob Jackson April 15th, 2012 09:42 AM

Les
You forgot guys can't read manuals.......
My EX1 does great timelapse videos

Buck Forester April 15th, 2012 11:23 AM

Go the EX1 menu and select 'interval recording'. Then you simply choose your interval recording speed options. I typically use 1 or 2 seconds for cloudy skies depending on the natural speed of the clouds, sometimes 5 seconds to really see them in action (but you can always speed things up in post, it depends on how much time you have and/or how much card space you want to use). Obviously if you want to catch the sun moving across the sky you'll use longer intervals. Interval time all depends on the creative choice of what you're trying to achieve.

After you choose your interval you simply hit the record button and it will start doing its thing. It goes without saying you need to so this on a tripod or something to keep your camera still throughout the process. But I just said it anyway. :^D

The nice thing is it's all recorded just like another clip, ready for playback or importing into a timeline.

Walter Brokx April 15th, 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jackson (Post 1727246)
Les
You forgot guys can't read manuals.......
My EX1 does great timelapse videos

Seems to a growing number of people... unable to take time to read the manual, but willing to take the time to post the question a wait for a reply :-p

Pure function question?
RTFM
(Or did you steal the camera without manual? ;-) )

It's far more interesting to ask a question I' like to ask:
How should I expose for a timelapse during dusk or dawn?
Lighting changes dramaticly during that period, so I'm curious about other people's experiences on this subject.

Buck Forester April 15th, 2012 06:32 PM

Dusk is an easy one... fade to black. That happens quicker with manual iris. Dawn is not so easy to do smoothly as it happens in reverse.

Tom Hardwick April 17th, 2012 07:28 AM

Easy answer Giannis - shoot in real time. Then, in the peace and quiet of your NLE studio you can contrast and compare. You can try different frame-rates, vary the rate of change and glide to a gentle stop should you wish. It's the way I do timelapse now that digital's free. In film days it was a different matter of course.

tom.