VG-20 or AF100 as a b-camera to an EX1/3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: VG-20 or AF100 as a b-camera to an EX1/3?

And both the VG-20 and AF100 suffer from a lot more aliasing than the FS100 due to the use of sensors optimised for stills and not HD video. An even cheaper option with very nearly the same feature set as the VG-20 is the NEX-7 stills camera.

Instead of investing thousands on a new camera why not invest in a better B camera operator or train your existing operator to focus manually, maybe get them a decent monitor so they can see when they are not in focus?
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

There's several issues I would like to solve if I could. I need a B-camera and as-is, the 5DM2, Z-Finder and 50mm f1.4 that I have doesn't perform as I want it to so I'm going to spend something.

My b-camera needs low light performance similar to my EX1R. I can get that with a large sensor camera at the sacrifice of ergonomics and limitations unless the AF-100, VG-20 or fit the bill. The FS100 is more than I care to spend to solve the problems. Regardless of b-camera operator skill, I want Push AF. The Sony A-mount 16-50mm f2.8 would do the trick except on the Sony e-mount cameras, it's restricted to f3.5 due to the AF implementation or whatever. This is an operational headache I don't want.

Between the Unified Magic Lantern for the 5DM2, an EVF and some stuff from Edelkrone, I'm going to attack the limitations of the 5DM2 and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
They are so much less expensive. The VG-10 body is $1600 and the AF-100 are dirt cheap these days circling $3000. Meanwhile the FS-100 is $5000.....
Are you sure about those prices? I just looked up B&H and they list the AF100 as $4,495, but with a $500 rebate for the next couple of months (so about $4,000) - Panasonic AG-AF100 Professional Memory Card AG-AF100PJ B&H Photo

As Alister says, the FS100 is a camera with a sensor designed for video, the AF100 and the VG10 are both effectively making the best of sensors designed for stills. You may be saving some money, but don't think you're getting something as good, and don't expect either of them to match your EX as well as the FS100. You get what you pay for.

I'd also feel a lot happier about investing in lenses for s35 than four-thirds......
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

David Thanks. I fully understand the issues of cameras and sensors built for video. The AF100 shows up used every so often in the low $3000. I saw one here just recently. The ND filters were appealing. :-)

But the whole point of this thread was to drum out the VG-20 and AF100 issues which has happened wonderfully and I'm not pursuing them.

I have a 5DM2 which serves my requirements in ways the FS100 cannot. Ever. So lacking a better alternative, I've decided to put the money to attempt to make the 5DM2 a better b-camera.

Last edited by Les Wilson; May 1st, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds